1986 xtb 21 restoration photos

mtolley

got a couple new pics. the first one is of the repair to the damage to the pad. still got a little more putty work to do and it will be finished

mtolley

the next two will be of the repair to the bottom of the wings from forklift damage

Last edited:

mtolley

this is a repair because someone tried to pop the "xtb" emblem off with a sharp object and poked a hole in the boat. my color matching skills leave alot to be desired, but this spot will be covered by the new emblem.

mtolley

gel cote repair. the boat aint white like i thought it was.,but i aint cutting it back out to make perfect.

SSTOM

Mike the old boat is starting to take shape. Are you going to have it at the Rally? Looks good Tom

mtolley

probably wont make the rally with it this year. new baby makes everything slow down some. im going to try and make the Ft Rucker drag race with a 1/4 Master though and have a little fun! mt

Blue Gray in PA

It sure is looking nice. I'm going to guess the color is the same blue and "dove gray" (as I call it) as my 1989 XTB. Bill at Allison can get you a real close match if you want have any larger areas you want/need to repair. Keep the photos coming - you're making al lot of us want to make ours perfect again too.

mtolley

had a mishap on friday! my brother in law was at my shop servicing his wifes van and replaceing the front brake pads. well to make a long story,he didnt pump the pedal back up after the pad change, fired up the van thru it in reverse and the last thing i heard was: " I GOT NO BRAKES!" . next all i ould here was the sound of glass crunching!. i jumped up, ran to see how bad the boat was, and to my suprise i couldnt see any damage to the boat at all! when i turned to look at the van, the first words were: "HOLY S**T!" will have pics of the van damage up shortly and the boat later. only twoo scrathces on the boat that didnt even get thru the gel coat! allison needs to be building CARS! we would all be safer!

mtolley

after 2 minutes work:

as you can see the van sustained much more damage than my cheap ole boat!

mtolley

finally finished fixing the damage to the wings and back of the pad. also filled in the pitot mounting holes and fixed a few chips etc on the back. next is the few chips in the strakes and sharpen them up on the last 3 ft of the boat:

mtolley

when im done with the repairs. i plan to tape off everything but the last 4 ft of the bottom and spray with grey epoxy primer,then wet sand with 400 paper. i think ill also tape off the repairs on the back and spray as well just to hide them. any ideas?

mtolley

got some good news yesterday, should have a title for it by mid november! seems the boat was titled to one person, registered to another, and a third gentlmen said that it was given to him!? what a load of crap to sort thru! so, maybe this boat will get restored begining next year after i take the kids to Disney in january. stay tuned! mike t