1988 xtb-21

shuddyssoup

Okay guys, Just bought a used XTB-21 and currently have no motor. Once the Bullet is gone I'll be looking at getting one. I was intrigued by the Pro XS 175 with the thought of the gas mileage. However, I see most people opt for the 2.5's. Seems like the obvious choice. What do y'all recommend ??? Also, t his boat has a 6" jack plate on the back. I was thinking about the 2" spacers to add and do you think that will help me any by moving it back 2". Thanks ... Mike

F2008

Welcome, glad you finally got activated.

My opinion is, I'd look at possibly adding a hydraulic plate, or if you have one, a manual plate, either way a total setback of 12". If you still have visions of 90 mph, keep your 2.5. .....or sell the Bullet as a package and start shopping for a freshened 2.5 pro max.

Enjoy the boat. Let's see some pics.

HO

Mike,
Decide on the engine and how much weight you will be carrying (full fishing load?) then play around with setback. My '86 xtb seemed to like 10" of setback with a 2.4L and I started with 4" of setback. I think you will find the sweet spot between 8" and 12" (hydraulic) with the 2.5L and a 26p or 28p chopper II 1/4" below to 1/4" above the pad.

Stock 2.5L 225 promax should put you easily into the 90s.

John

shuddyssoup

Once the Bullet is gone and my setup is complete I'll post some pics. I have been looking at the skid plates and was wondering if that would be something I should do. I know it's not a necessity but ... I like the idea of a better hole shot.