1994 XB2003 vs 1995 XB2002

Jtbates

Hey folks need a little in site, I am new to the group and to Allison boats.
I have located two boats that I am very interested in, I will be multi using, primarily tournament fishing with some Sunday cruising.

the details are as follows:
1994 xb2003
2010 merc. 175 Pro xs
sea star hyd steering
Allison manual jack plate

1995 xb2002
2006 Yamaha 250 vmax
sea star hyd steering
Hyd jack plate

Both boats in excellent condition and set up for fishing and price same on each boat, what is yall’s thoughts if looking to purchase your first Allison.

thanks for your time.

JTB

Lotus 50

I would go with the first. Allison does not recommend the 500 lb motors for their 20’ boats. First Ally, 175 would be fast enough

Jtbates

I would go with the first. Allison does not recommend the 500 lb motors for their 20’ boats. First Ally, 175 would be fast enough
Lotus 50,

Thanks for the info, I had read that max was around 430#. I am looking fwd. To finally own an Ally.

JTB

GotMyAlly

I agree with the above.... that heavy yam will give you some setup challenges on the xb02.

And for tournament fishing, the 03 gives you a little more room.

Jtbates

I agree with the above.... that heavy yam will give you some setup challenges on the xb02.

And for tournament fishing, the 03 gives you a little more room.
GotMyAlly,
Thanks for the reply, more room is a plus.
I really appreciate the info.
JTB

Jtbates

As was told me. A 2003 is a fishing boat you can race in. A 2002 is a racing boat you can fish in. Dittos on the 2003
SLOmofo,
Thanks for the info, as fishing will be the primary use the 03 is looking to be the right choice, and the 03 is only 4 hours away where as the 02 is 12 hours away from home.
Thanks for the reply.
JTB

Jon

Supporting Member
I'm really surprised someone hung a Yamaha on an 02. Has anyone ran an 02 with a heavy motor on it? That would not be great for fishing, and probably not for driving either. I prefer the 02 for every day running, but the 03 is the better choice in this case.

Jtbates

I'm really surprised someone hung a Yamaha on an 02. Has anyone ran an 02 with a heavy motor on it? That would not be great for fishing, and probably not for driving either. I prefer the 02 for every day running, but the 03 is the better choice in this case.
Jon,
thanks, not knowing the characteristics of these boats everyone’s input has been a great help.
JTB

Reactions: Jon

Jtbates

All,
Thanks for everyone’s in put, looks to be 100% in one direction, 2003 it is.
once agin thanks, I look fwd. to more conversations in the future.

Very Best to all.
JTB

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take everybody’s advice into consideration, but get in both boats, go out in both boats, find someone near you with each hull, most Allison owners would be glad to give you a ride. I actually feel that the 02 is a more open boat in certain ways. I wouldn’t make a purchase till you’ve checked each hull out.

There was a guy running an SHO on a 2002 recently, I know it ran some big numbers and he put some miles on it. I love the wind protection on my 2003, other things I really think are better on the 2002. Each has its ups and downs.

Where are you located?

Jtbates

Take everybody’s advice into consideration, but get in both boats, go out in both boats, find someone near you with each hull, most Allison owners would be glad to give you a ride. I actually feel that the 02 is a more open boat in certain ways. I wouldn’t make a purchase till you’ve checked each hull out.

There was a guy running an SHO on a 2002 recently, I know it ran some big numbers and he put some miles on it. I love the wind protection on my 2003, other things I really think are better on the 2002. Each has its ups and downs.

Where are you located?
Silverbullet02
im in Decatur al area, the 02 is located 12 hrs north, owner and I talking about meeting in IL somewhere to test run, everything up his way is solid ice for a few more months. Lol
the 03 I will be testing late next week.
I appreciate the input, with motor already 100# over, my fishing partner at 230# and a full live well I am concerned about boats attitude sitting static. Tenn. river winter tourney’s can see 2+ chop is not uncommon.

JTB

stuart gary

I've run both the 02 and 03 the 02 is faster and lighter making it not as comfortable in rough water. the 03 rides extremely well in rough water and carries rear weight much better than the 02. its mostly just a personal preference. you will be happy with either you decide and if you're not happy just sell it. you wont lose any money just a little time.

David Shook

Never owned an 03 , but had a friend that was a successful tournament fisherman that did , boat would only run 101 with a 280 , but according to him the fishing and family friendliness was great. Welcome to Allison , Hope you catch a biggun !
Shook

BigRWater

Lotus 50,

Thanks for the info, I had read that max was around 430#. I am looking fwd. To finally own an Ally.

JTB
I have looked these Yamaha's up a few times and I am sure that these are 500 pound plus motors. The 175 is under 500 pounds (then add oil) but by how much? If you don't own an Allison, I think either would be a fine choice. All boats have compromises, but in my limited experience, Allison does those compromises better than any other boat manufacture.

BigRWater

Hey folks need a little in site, I am new to the group and to Allison boats.
I have located two boats that I am very interested in, I will be multi using, primarily tournament fishing with some Sunday cruising.

the details are as follows:
1994 xb2003
2010 merc. 175 Pro xs
sea star hyd steering
Allison manual jack plate

1995 xb2002
2006 Yamaha 250 vmax
sea star hyd steering
Hyd jack plate

Both boats in excellent condition and set up for fishing and price same on each boat, what is yall’s thoughts if looking to purchase your first Allison.

thanks for your time.

JTB
I might buy the Allison XB 2002. In my experience there are not as many of them for sale.
The Yamaha motor on this 2002 should bring the price down and you can replace it with a 2.5 liter in time.
The 2.5 liter and your Allison are soul mates.
I bought a 1998 Allison XB 2003 about 3 years ago. It is an impressive boat. It is a real work of art!
I owned 2 other boats at the time I purchased my 2003. I have since sold the other 2 boats, and have made room for an XB 2002, when one becomes available with the right circumstances.
I have a Mariner Super Magnum sitting idle for use on my XB 2002 when comes.

Reactions: 22R

Jtbates

All
thanks for all the input, I have made a purchase, 1999 xb03, merc 225, boat is showroom cond. motor has 10hrs with new merc block and all new internals.
will be at fishers of men tourney on Pickwick this Saturday. Wohooo