2.5 280

JETZ

Being new to the sport, I've found out that the altenator on the motor only puts out 15 amps, and why I've killed my battery from slow speed idling. The charging does not start till 2200 rpm.

When I'm on the lake no problem, it's just on my river (slow speed limit).

Other than a Simon kit http://www.simonmotorsports.com/2.5alt/2.5alt.html, or running a second battery (I have no stereo) what have you guys done to solve this problem? Will a bigger altenator swap be possible?

Frank

whipper

The 280,s have a stock 60 amp charging system. Theres guys that want to run a 16amp that have taken off the 60 amp system like yours. Do you also have the light weight fly wheel? Most guys when they go 16amp also go light flywheel so you may need to go back to the stock setup. Maybe someone wants to swap you for your 16amp? Or have there old 60 amp collecting dust and will sell it to you cheaper than the Simon kit.The 60 amp cost around 6hp but with a 280 your probably not going to even notice it if not drag racing. Just go a pitch down and your back to the same punch.:big grin http://www.speedmastermarine.iwarp.com/photo3.html
2.5 EFI Offshore Race

Specifications
Propshaft Rated Horsepower (HP / kW): 280 (209 kW)
Peak Power @ RPM: 8000
Cylinders: V-6 (60 degree vee)
Displacement (CID/cc): 153/2507
Bore & Stroke (in): 3.50/2.65
Bore & Stroke (mm): 89/67
Fuel Induction System: Electronic Fuel Injection
Ignition System: Inductive Coils w/Computer Control
Charging System: 60-amp (756-watt) w/dual Voltage Regulator
Gear Ratio: 1.87:1 (SM)
Fuel/Oil Ratio: 32:1
Recommended Oil: Mercury Performance Blend 2-Cycle Outboard
Fuel Requirements: 92 Octane Leaded or Unleaded (R+M)/2 (98 RON)
Rotation: Left or Right Hand
Shaft Length (inches): 15 or 20
Shaft Length (mm): 381 or 508
Weight (lbs / kg): 401/182 (15"); 412/187 (20")
Warranty: These products are highly specialized and produced in limited quantities for sale, without warranty, to qualified powerboat racing professionals.

Features & Benefits
Available with 15" (381 mm) or 20" (508 mm) heavy-duty center sections.
Heavy-duty power trim system.
Lightweight top and bottom cowls.
Solid upper and lower engine mounts enhance handling and overall boat performance.
Sport Master gearcase with 1.87:1 gear ratio features a heavy-duty housing and internal components designed to withstand stresses encountered with higher transom heights and speeds.
Full range of 3-blade or 4-blade Mercury Racing Lab-Finished Propellers

Last edited:

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha, I just clicked the thread and said to myself, did I post on the right thread, then I saw what you edited, lol!

whipper

Haha, I just clicked the thread and said to myself, did I post on the right thread, then I saw what you edited, lol!
I make so many mistakes after I write somthing I pretty much wonder why I even write anything.:big grin Im addicted to this ****. Im an internet sifter. You name it I can find it.:big grin

SLOmofo

Start with a fully charged battery.
Put a smaller pulley on the alternator, but be aware that now it will maybe spin to fast and be damaged if the engine rpm is high.
Larger battery or 2 wired in parallel. (both + together and both - together) just makes them a large battery.

A battery that is sulfated won't take a charge and will have little capacity.
A sulfated battery in a car will at first spin the starter quickly but then that starter will quickly slow down.

Bobalouie

Slo mo has it right. You are just not charging much at idle because the alternator is below the rpm range it needs to "turn on" so to speak.