2000 Merc 280

THutch

I'm considering purchasing a 2000 Merc 280. I'm well aware of the need to re-ring these motors and possibly re-niciasil them. I understand compression on a healthy one should be 140-150 lbs and leak down should be 3-4%. Can someone confirm those figures for me? And, do most folks re-ring every certain number of hours or watch for leak-down to increase and then re-ring?

Thanks for your help.

Bobalouie

That is about right. Check leakdown once or twice per year, I usually did it about 1/2 way thru the season, and when I put it away for the winter. Get a re ring done when you are at around 8% leakdown.

THutch

Thanks for the feedback. We tested compression Thursday but could not test leak down as the mechanic did not have the correct gauge. Compression was between 129 and 142, the left side being lower than all right side cylinders. That concerned me quite a bit. I made an offer that reflected my suspicion of a need for set of rings and possibly a need for re-nicaisil. The seller and I couldn't get together on a price. 129 lbs seemed too low to me.

LakeAnna

Not to mention you would need pistons, bearings, bolts and at least a gasket set. Unless your gonna trust the side pins.

THutch

Thanks again for the feedback. You have confirmed my thoughts. I think the seller is fishing for an uninformed buyer.