2000 mercury promax 225

spd663

Guys I have a 2000 mercury promax 225 the low oil buzzer has just recently started going off. I changed the cap and float on the oil tank on the motor and it is still doing it. For some reason the oil is not going from the tank on the boat to the tank on the motor. My question is how much and where can I get the kit to take the oil pump off. My other thing is can I just leave the oil pump on start missing the oil and the gas and just unplug the alarm wire for the oil pump. Any input and ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hirk

Google mercury 2.5 oil injection removal. It was very simple with the youtube video the search found, 20 minute job.

bassracr

getting the oil from the boat tank to the motor tank is pretty straight forward , the engine pulses pressurizes the oil tank in the boat and forces it to the engine tank if i recall correctly, there is basically a 1 way valve at the block your hose attaches to,then goes to the boat tank .then hose to engine tank . i would guess either the valve is not functioning correctly,or the tank is not sealed or cracked or split in the hose somewhere, if you have verified the engine tank is not being filled from the boat tank. the modules located up on the head are known to fail also and set off the alarm. but that would not have anything to do with the tank not filling . there is also some kind of valve and vent close to the engine tank (again..if memory serves me correctly) i would verify all hoses are air tight ,o-rings sealed on tanks, and valves are in place and hoses are routed per factory recommendations .
i had one that was doing this and part b in this diagram was missing. someone had just connected the hose to the tank without the valve.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/f01.justanswer.com/JACUSTOMER2vr9w2e9/2012-05-18_133148_3d-10.jpg

Last edited:

spd663

I CHANGED THE FLAOAT AND THE CAP ON THE OIL TANK ON THE MOTOR AND THAT IS WHEN THE PROBLEM HAPPENED. IS THERE ANY WAY TO CHECK THE CHECK VALVE. I DO NOT RUN THE BOAT THAT MUCH AND I AM WONDERING IF THE OIL MAY HAVE JUST GUMMED UP ON IN THE HOSE AND I CAN JUST CLEAN IT OUT .

wasmeneh

I had a 225 EFI that had the same issue. It was normally the onboard tank not sealing correctly. It's been a while but after about the third time I found I was over tightening the top of the tank after adding oil to the tank causing the O ring to fail. I think my whole tank was replaced under warranty 2 tim

bassracr

I had a 225 EFI that had the same issue. It was normally the onboard tank not sealing correctly. It's been a while but after about the third time I found I was over tightening the top of the tank after adding oil to the tank causing the O ring to fail. I think my whole tank was replaced under warranty 2 tim
If you loosen or remove the cap on the motor tank while engine is at Idle, and tank begins to fill , it is likely you have a problem like wasneneh stated . The pressure is escaping somewhere.

whipper

Float issue. Premix no issues. After I did what Motley showed me ive never had an oil related problem or beep to figure out since. :)