2003 center steer/250xs setup

silverfox

1st trip was with 5"setback,3/8 below pad,30 pitch drag 4,torqemaster with bobs low water and 1:75 gears,1st run nose of boat was pushing down,lowerd plate to about 1 3/4 below pad.That got the boat handling pretty well but was hitting the limiter at 3/4 throttle.The engine is 04 with 5900 limiter.I'm trying to decide if 32 will keep it off the limiter and if I need to put 2 to 4 inchs setback so I can bring the engine back up to where it needs to be.Thanks Lanny

aaronmt

Pm, Badbait on here,he has the same set up and has done ALOT of set up work.Believe me his runs good.You dont want to go back any further.

silverfox

The gears look good.They are waiting to go in a spare case,they should work fine.Back to the setup,I had 225 opti 3 liter with 11 1/2 setback on this boat and it seemed to be a little too much.If anyone has this combination dialed in on setback,engine heigth ,and prop I would like to hear from you.Thanks Lanny

tharris003

Pm, Badbait on here,he has the same set up and has done ALOT of set up work.Believe me his runs good.You dont want to go back any further.

I'll be more specific, XB-2003, 2009 250xs with 6300 limiter, Running 11" setback on a hyrdraulic CMC plate, I believe we're running 1/2"-3/4" below pad(I can check to make sure) I usually just adjust it on the fly. There's a way around the bow going down, hard to explain.. Only had the motor 2 weeks before my surgery and I got it up to 90mph(gps) @ 5680-5700, that's full gas and tournament loaded, w/ a 27 Fury and a 28" Hydromotive that Todd fixed up for us.. No special set up just bolt on and go @ 11" of setback.

When I get back up on my feet, I'll stretch her out some more, cause there's plenty more there, and I'll update the #'s. Now I'm not looking for triple digits either, I tournament fish and 90-92 is fine with me loaded.

GFinch

Defiantly get a hold of BadBait. He has done a ton of experimenting on the same combo as you have. He does have about half the set back you have though. Knocking on 100mph.

silverfox

Thanks THarris003,Sorry about your not being able to get on the water.The info should a lot with my setup.It also sounds like Bad bait can help me with this set up ,maybe he can post some info also.Thanks Lanny

Darth VMAX

I think Badbait has even less set-back, like 3.5 to 4"?
I agree with everyone else, this is a rare and "not reccomended" set-up (per the factory). But he has a lot of time and has had great success with it and would be good to get some pointers from.

my. 02, I would think 1.62 gears would work much better with that set-up. You at least wouldn't have to find such steep props to stay off the limiter.

Last edited:

silverfox

Thanks guys for all the input.I have a lot of experience with these hulls plus the xtb21,but all with 2.5s.I've read the different opinions about this setup and know how quick things can go wrong.My 1st Allison back 79 was a 17 1/2 ft xst with a 235 omc highly modified.With a lot of setup and seat time that was a safe and fun boat.Low 90's in 79 was pretty wild for a fishing boat.As for the 1:75 gears ,the torque master came with them and I didn't want to get into changing them.I feel like there should be some 32 or 34's floating around to try.I believe my biggest challenge is propping with the 5900 limiter and 1:75 gears.With this boat being a center steer will cut down on the setback that it needs.The balance actually feels pretty good with the 5inch hydraulic plate.I'm looking to fish low to mid 90's with me and my partner.Thanks Lanny

silverfox

Found the problem with pushing the nose down.The lip on the pad was huge.I took it down to .007 and added 2 more inchs to make 7 on setback.At 3/8 below pad I'm hitting the limiter at 5900 with a 30 txp.Speed is at 91 with this setup.I'm going to try raising the motor to even and a 32 txp and see how it responds.Each time I have raised the engine height it has really responded well.At this point it is driving as sweet as any A boat I've ever driven.Lanny

GFinch

Not an expert butt, when I lost my lip I lost 5 mph. This was before raising the engine. As I did raise the engine I gained it all back + 1 mph before I lost the engine. I started a about 3/8" below and ended at over an inch above. My lip had been worked over by someone prior to my ownership. This was due to chunks out of the running surface and lip. It was not as straight and sharp as it is now. Hooked it at 95mph twice due to bow dropping and backing out of the throttle to fast. Before doing this I had posted here and used the search trying to find out all I could.
I would raise the engine and then drive the boat the rest of the day to get a feel in all conditions that I could put it through, then the next time out raise it again and drive it. Ended up before blowing up the boat was extremely stable through everything I put it through even at WOT 96 mph. So well, I was tempted to drive without hands on the wheel.
Mine is different being a 1994 XB2003 center steer, first year of production and I think #22 built. The weight is probably more than you and BadBait have, with the Merc 250. 3.0 JohnRude Taylor bolt on SDS EFI, 16" mid, sports-master lower with 1.62 gears. 7'-8' Rapid Jack set at 8". RPM was limited due to running into a rich fuel mixture, 6,800 to 7,000 rpm.
Drive it and raise the engine only after much running in all sorts of lake conditions. Keep an eye on the water pressure and temp. You will, I suspect end up 1" to 1 3/8" above. There is a pic of BadBaits boat on here running at the delta. Look for it and check his trim angle.

silverfox

Gary,Thanks for the response.It sounds like you had it dialed in before the engine problem.I just finished going up with the engine on the plate,so now I can go above the pad with the hydraulic plate.Waiting on the bigger prop before I go back to the lake.I put it on the ddt to check time on the limiter and It showed 8 seconds over rpm on 2 passes.I was also found boat speed on ddt was showing 92.8.I did not know they could show boat speed.I guess the smartcraft is smarter than I thought.I'm getting close to where I want to be with this boat.Looking to fish low to mid 90's.Thanks again,Lanny

GFinch

Re: 2003 center steer/XS setup

Careful with a HYD plate. Would be a good thing if it ONLY went to optimum height and NO further. Bad things happen! Did you find the pic of BadBait's boat?

My set up was/is far from close. Always fearful of going around. When I get the engine back it will be dialed in on the dyno and more than enough HP for me.

silverfox

Gary,The hydraulic will not be used unless I'm going to lower down to carry the kids and wife out cruising or pulling a tube etc.I have lost a race or 2 fooling with the plate over the years,so I guess I'm old school and mark my engine height and leave it alone.The only pictures of Badbaits boat I found were the ones under 2003 owners and they were not the right ones.If you could point me in the right direction I would like to see them.Good luck with the engine when you get it back.Lanny

mignumspeed

you might get up with hotprop i think that glenn reynolds and hotprop ran a 250 on a 2003 and with no set up work and a 32 pro et it went 106 with two aboard.

pickwickangler

you might get up with hotprop i think that glenn reynolds and hotprop ran a 250 on a 2003 and with no set up work and a 32 pro et it went 106 with two aboard.
:gasp:cuss

RedAllison

GOD I hate to hear this. I wish you ALL the luck in the world but I feel that your insistance to run 32-34" wheels, removed lip, extreme engine height and 7" offset is going to get you hurt. I'd be looking at reduced offset, playing with the gearcase and for sure I'd put 1.62s in it and try to keep the pitch under 30" for safety sake. Big props do strange things at speed, especially when surfaced under a torque monster like the 250XS. If it paddle wheels on you right now you are going to go for one hell of a ride... or worse!!! :cuss

GOOD luck,
RA