2003 center steer/250xs setup

silverfox

Sorry guys for being slow to respond.I travel a good part of the week and will go several days without logging in.Thanks RA for the concern and input.The one thing I have learned in the 30 plus years that I have owned and run Allisons is to take it slow in the setup changes and really get to know it's limitations.At this point I feel that even with the pad and 7 inch setback is pretty conservative.I looked at Glenns boat and he's back 14 plus inches,So I suppose they can be run with anywhere from 3 1/2 to 14 inches back.I'm satisfied the lip on the pad is good now.It drives really good and is not trying to push the nose down anymore.The best driving and performing Allison I have ever owned was a 21XTB that came from Lake X AS a test boat.The bottom had been straightened and had no lip.It was quick and fast with a stock 280,empty or loaded.This boat may surprise me and do something crazy,but right now I'm feeling pretty comfortable with it.At 60 plus years I don't really need no surprises.Slomo, thanks for the picture of Badbaits boat.He's got it up and running there for sure.I got a couple of passes on video this past weekend and it's also looking good.Everyone be safe and have fun!Thanks Lanny

badbait

That picture was taken of my boat at 70 mph on the Delta. I would love to have the same picture taken at 100 plus to see how much more of the hull would be out of the water. I have some definite opinions on the 2003/250XS and the way it should be setup. You can call me if your not happy with the way your setup is working. I would be happy to share what has and has not worked for me.

Bill Smith
530 321-4141

whipper

Bad Bait's boat
Looks to be perfectly neutral at 70mph. Looks to be even with or 1/2 inch above pad. Is that about right? I would think that even with the reduced set back off setting the boats folcrum back to natural balance the extra mass still requires a lower gearcase hight because of the flow from the pad creating turbulance so close to the prop? A prop that has good bite would be a must I would think with less setback? The touque from the XS would alow the ability to run larger blade area props to grab more water. Just a guess.:big grin That sounds like fun setting her up. let us know what youve tried and why. I dont think even Darris bothered spending as much time trying to make it work if he tried at all? Sure the Boats were designed around the 2.5. But 20ft Eliminators wernt designed around V8 outboards to be strapped on im sure and do fine with them on or a Viper with a 280. Much the same as a 1000hp bottle fed bigblock in a 17ft hydro but it works.:big grin Were theres a will theres a way.

Last edited: