2005 280ss raw fuel question

Kerry Cordy

I have a 2005 280ss. I fired it up on the trailer today. No problems. I idle out to the 5mph bout, jumped it up on a plane, ran a 1/4 mile down the lake and started smelling gas. I shut it off and my first thought was an on board fuel leak. Nope. Looked back at the motor and there is a fuel rainbow ring around it. Pulled the cowl thinking now that the fuel rail is leaking. Ran another 1/4 mile, fished for 30 minutes, motor struggled to start, wet plugs but fires up. I run down the lake another mile, everything seems fine.

Did an an injector act up? The raw fuel I believe came out of the exhaust unburnt?
Bad plug? I had Brucatto do the injectors 4 years ago. Maybe 50 hours on motor since then. Has anyone seen this wet, rich, raw fuel situation before?

Thanks for the suggestions, Allen

resqu-u

It sounds like you are like me and our 280's gets way to much sit time in the garage. I have Rich clean my injectors every two years regardless of hours. It's actually worse to not be running them so it could be one or a few of your injectors flooding due to fuel gum. Do you run ethanol fuel? I would clean the injectors, replace your tank to pump to motor fuel lines, the EFI filter and water separator, install new set of plugs and run it again. It's cheap insurance for a great engine that cost a ton to rebuild. Keep us posted.

Kerry Cordy

Yes, I have not ran the boat much lately. A few times a year. I'm in California and run ethanol fuel and the additive from I believe Hydramotive. I sent the injectors to Brucatto and will install new plugs. I've thought about running the non-ethanol 93 that I can get from a fuel supplier. It's $6.50 a gallon. Expensive but probably better for the motor.

Allen

Bobalouie

Buy some Aces from Tod at Hydromotive, mix it with the ethanol stuff and never worry about it. I think that would be cheaper than paying 6.50/gal. Its good stuff, I run it in everything that sits for long periods.