200XS Cleaning

Jon

Supporting Member
I managed to see an '06 200XS motor yesterday (mine is an '05), and pulled the cowl on it. It was spotless. Mine isn't dirty, but definitely dusty somehow. With car engines in the past, I have just steamed them, and they look great. With all the electronics on the Opti, which should be somewhat watertight, what is a safe way to clean the motor?

I really just want to knock the dust off. Air didn't do much as it still looks dusty, and water doesn't work without scrubbing to get the film off.

Jon

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't use brake cleaner because it'll eat up the cowl. I've used simple green before, soak it, let it set for a few, then hose it off.

Jon

Supporting Member
You guys are hiiiilarious. I imagine that since it is a boat motor that some amount of mist wouldn't be bad for it. Who really knows :)

skewby

summer boats?????? me and mills were out 2 weeks ago. i the projected weather is correct ill be back out sat

GotMyAlly

I'd try it with just water before I started spraying on any abrasive cleaners. How dirty could it be? Been using your outboard in a dusty environment?

Dave Hensley

Just remember if you use any high powered alkaline based detergent like greased Lightning, Purple Power etc it will kill any plastic like pan, cowl and skirt. Takes the color out of it leaving it really bad looking.

Brack

.......under the cowl is a part of after the lake day {cleaning},.......wipe-down,

when I have a the power head off, I will wax the inside of the pan,.....for easy cleaning,

msharp

That MOTOROLA is NOT Water proof ... JUST Water resistant. so be careful when cleaning around it along with the TPS.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry abou tit.

Not enuff weight in that little bit of dust to slow you down any.

It will get cleaned at the next rebuild.

Jon

Supporting Member
I wouldn't worry abou tit.

Not enuff weight in that little bit of dust to slow you down any.

It will get cleaned at the next rebuild.

Oh Brian's dad... you don't know me very well, do you :very happy

It's a sickness. If I could run it without oil to keep it cleaner, I would. Also, this is a XS motor, it should run for at least 24 hours...