200xs vs 225PM on GSE

whipper

OK been wonder this for awhile. Would one of those new 200XS 15 inch merc Racing 200XS motors that rev to 7000 rpm be faster and quiker than a 96-2000 225 promax with a 7500 rpm limitter with 33cc heads? No SVS just with heads and a higher limmiter. I know they would sip fuel in comparessin but what about performance?

LakeAnna

I'm all in for this one... Good question James, thought I read somewhere that the xs makes 220 or something. Maybe I am thinking of another motor though.

I hope this 225X I have will last.

Doesn't Lou have that motor on his GS???

Last edited:

Lotus 50

I'd bet more bottom end a few mph less. Both motors have been alleged to make more than rated power, could be true.

xb03

I would say your current promax would be faster. I've seen stock promax's put out 245hp on the dyno.

bassracr

I have had my boat long enough to have several different motors hangin of the back of it . At one time I had a tired 2.4 200 on there and in 2000 mercury had some 1998 leftover 2.5 150 pro max short shaft motors with sportmaster lower 1.87 gears and a stupid good deal a 7 grand in the crate . Well... People told me how much better my boat would handle with the 15in motor and with the 2.5 I would pick up bottom end with the larger displacement and prolly notice little performance difference from my 2.4 because they were underrated on power. It did not tAke very long to realize that was all a crock of poop . You could not tell any difference in handling and if the 150 was underrated so was the 200 and every other motor out there . I ended up yanking that pro max off there because for me after having 200 or more hp I just missed the performance too much and knew I would never be happy with it. Your talking about a 25 horsepower difference stock and on our boats that is a noticeable performance difference with both running properlly,propped properly,etc. if you wring your boat out on a regular basis and like to go as fast as your equipment wil go , it's hard to go backwards on the power

whipper

hmmm still in the dark other than i agree with the more power as Bassracer says. Thats were Im at. Only had the 225pm on mine for going on 8 years and I need a little more exitment now. BUT I dont want to sacrifice the reliability of the Promax for a Nick motor. Im starting to see guys with green motors beating 2.5 guys hear and there. thats got me thinking again. The 2.5 200XS seems good but would it be good enough? I wish Merc would make the 3.2XS with a 15 incher. the alternitives sway more to the E-techs and Yamahas for shorter mids. Short mid 3.0+ with carbon cowl more revs and a 16 or 15 with a 2.5 plate for ratcheting 2.5 sportmaster sounds like the ticket still then? Just wish guys would have real weights to say with these mods. One guy said his 3.2 was 445lbs with mods? Hard to believe that 65 lbs could be shaved doing these but thats what he said. Flywheel,mid,and light weight cowl, tuner with modified 280 15inch 2.5 SM. Sounds sweet!!:big grin

Last edited:

njj502

Wouldn't it? Nathan you need a 300 on that barge. As much gas as I've burnt already this year a 200xs is sounding better and better. I'd give up a mile or two, three for 40% better fuel consumption number. I just can't justify the 10k difference after I'd sell my promax.

LakeAnna

My 225X is pretty easy on the gas although I was used to the 260 so... the xs is a shorty and sold as is correct? 10 g's would be tough to swallow for less mph and a few mpg imo. PLUS maybe just maybe something a little better might come around in the near future. (wishful thinking)

375 lbs. and 300hp would be perfect! Optimax Drag/lake mota.

njj502

Shorty no warranty. I spoke with a Merc rep about it and the 'no warranty' isn't to say they would not stand behind a major failure. They'll want major stuff back for failure analysis and R&D work.

Bobalouie

Hard to believe that 65 lbs could be shaved doing these but thats what he said. Flywheel,mid,and light weight cowl, tuner with modified 280 15inch 2.5 SM. Sounds sweet!!:big grin

Whipper, when I switched to my Nass all carbon fiber setup and ditched the alien cowl, my 280 lost 35 lbs. I dont know if the new 3.0L cowls are as heavy as one of the old aliens, but I would bet they weigh even more.

GotMyAlly

Whipper, when I switched to my Nass all carbon fiber setup and ditched the alien cowl, my 280 lost 35 lbs. I dont know if the new 3.0L cowls are as heavy as one of the old aliens, but I would bet they weigh even more.
They're heavier! The alien cowls are light in comparison to a 3.0L cowl.

xb03fs

Wouldn't it? Nathan you need a 300 on that barge. As much gas as I've burnt already this year a 200xs is sounding better and better. I'd give up a mile or two, three for 40% better fuel consumption number. I just can't justify the 10k difference after I'd sell my promax.
No I don't..A 280 XS would be perfect. The 21 is so balanced with a lightweight motor. If launches so much flatter than my xb2003 does. Loaded to fish I don't know if the same speeds are outta the question...It just cant be stripped like an xb2003..I need all my fishing gear and ballast just to get it to balance correctly....So going fishing will be very similar as light.

The xb2003 fished 82-84....I dont think 82-84 is outta the question on this rig with my 200...I still have a lot of tweaking to do....

Now with the center steer and stripping the boat there is no comparison the xb2003 whips its butt HARD. But with the fishing gear they are surprisingly VERY similar and I would give the holeshot edge to the 21 I think due to the long nose that helps it break over