225pm Poppet valve plumbing

BigCountryx

My understanding of a poppet valve is that when the water pressure reaches a certain point, the poppet valve opens and allows excess pressure to vent through the hose that goes to the top of the block. This port at the top of the block dumps into the exhaust and is dumped out the motor.

My hose has a tee in it with a line running out to a tell tale just like the outlet of the thermostats. Does anyone see an issue with that? I would think that it would do nothing other than alert you if you have a leaking poppet valve. Any opinions?

njj502

Actually it comes from the top of the block into the poppet and that water is what forces the poppet open. The dump is internal to the adapter plate.

That tee could be to help reduce pressure. I've been thinking of putting one in on my ProMax to help reduce pressure.

BigCountryx

Well now I'm more confused. If that was the direction of flow, then that tell tale should always be streming while the motor is running, but it does not flow at low pressure and it's kind of hard for me to look at WOT lol.

h2oskiier30

Here's a diagram of the water flow in a 2.5 "fishing" motor....

Last edited:

procomp

well my 225 promax goes to the top of the block and my 200 just goes out the back of the cowl. It looks like at one time it went to the top of the block as well as the fitting it there but capped off.
Good post, I'm curious if one way or the other is better.

BigCountryx

So according to that diagram (thanks h20, I've been searching for that), the tube to the top of the block provides some cooling to the exhaust when running higher RPM and instances of higher water pressure, which makes since. It looks like I would be losing a little of this cooling effect by having a slip stream of this flow exiting a tell tale. I wonder what the detrimental effect of this is, especially if some run without the exhaust cooling water at all as described by procomp on his 200

njj502

The tube at the top is to be sure the block is full of water and the exhaust divider preheats the water before it enters the "cooling" section. Once the poppet opens you do start dumping water into the mid to cool exhaust & mid/water pump.

whipper

The tube at the top is to be sure the block is full of water and the exhaust divider preheats the water before it enters the "cooling" section. Once the poppet opens you do start dumping water into the mid to cool exhaust & mid/water pump.
That makes sence. Im assuming the pre heat is to moderatly control expanstion and retraction of the aluminum and steel? Without this a free flowing water system in cooler water could tighten things up to quickly as the motor warms?

BigCountryx

haha, I got the diagram figured out now, bare with me guys lol. Not sure what I've got going on, but I think I need to investigate a little. I should be having a constant stream out of my tell tale off of the rubber hose going to the poppet valve and I'm not.

njj502

You should have a tell tale all the time from that tube

The exhaust is the hottest place in the motor so that's why I suspect they put water there first. Also helps from shocking the cylinders with ice cold water...

Last edited:

xb03

It barely spits a few drops out, I must have some blockage there.
Hey bud, when mine was doing as you described, After the block is warm, I could pinch my hose going to the poppet and it started to pee, meaning poppet is leaking and should not at idle. I replaced my poppet and all has been good.

BigCountryx

J, I tried that and the pisser picked up, but no where near what the normal tell take is. How much flow should be going through this line?

Gary, I resemble that remark, lmao