225proXS prop

Allison21tom

Installed a new 225proXS 3.0 on my 03 21 bassport. looking for feedback on setback and prop for fishing.

fishnfireman

So far I don't think anyone has found a prop that works better on the big hull than a Trophy after Darris's guy has put the Allison cut on it. Try a 26 first.
I am not sure but I believe the Allison/CMC hydraulic jack plate has 5" of set back......Soon after I got my 06 model Darris said to add 1" to that......It works good on mine but I have the 2.5 225 .

Allison21tom

Thanks for the feedback, I will check my setback Tuesday.
I was running a 250XS with a 1:62 sportmaster. The new 225 pro XS has a 1:75 torque master gear case causing me to retest props for the new motor.
I have run a 27 tempest and hit the rev limit at 6000, two 28 trophy props (no speed)and a 28 Performance 4 blade overhub. So far the 28 performance 4 blade has been the best.
I bolted on a 26 trophy today for my next test, Billy at Performance has not done the allison cut on this prop.

fishnfireman

I don't think the torque-master will ever let that boat run to it's potential. I am running the Trophy higher on this hull than I did on the 2003 !!!!

I was amazed at the difference it made in the Trophy after they worked it.
Especialy on the hole shot and exceleration.

The 28 is a whole different prop than the rest of the Trophy's !!!! it does not even look like the rest of them and sure does not perform the same.

Last edited:

Allison21tom

Scott (yellow allison) has my 250xs with the sportmaster and I plan to run the motor with the 1-62 sportmaster to check the difference in perforamce. I was curious if someone else had the 225 pro xs on a 21 Allison. I bought the 225 over the 250 because of the new Darris max 225 rating.

fishnfireman

I bought the 225 over the 250 because of the new Darris max 225 rating.

I hear ya !!!!!!!!
That's the same reason I have a 7 yr old 225 promax on a brand new boat!!

Hopefully by next year I can afford a 300 stroker and still keep the 225 on the hoist to drop on for tournaments that will not allow an over-rated mtr. If we can get everything to match up pretty close it should not take but a couple of hours to swap mtrs.

Allison21tom

What I really did to do is steal my son"s (yellowallison) 300 drag mer off of his drag boat!
I was considering the new 300 but because of fishing tournaments I went with the 225 (also 5 year waranty and reg gas).
Now I'm trying to do the best with what I've have.

fishnfireman

No kidding!! that cheaper gas and 5 yr warranty sounds good----------but not as good as that 300 drag would SOUND.

You really do need to try one of those Allison cut Trophys... If you have not done so-----I was not a big Trophy fan before getting this bigger hull.......... But Darris finally made a believer out of me..

Allison21tom

I agree, I will give Billy (performance prop) a call. I also need to send my 4 blade (chopper type) Performance Prop back to him for some tune up.
I have never ran a allison cut trophy. Darris has shown me his trophy and what he does to it.
So far the 225 feels real strong. I don't believe the 26 trophy I just put on the boat will be enough pitch. I can turn the 28 performance 4 blade 5600 loaded with two people, full fuel tank and a full live well

fishnfireman

So long as I am below 1200 ft elevation I can turn the 26 to the limiter on the pro max... with a HHHeavy load.. So from that and what you are saying I bet a 27 might be the ticket.. I have a 27 that someone other than Billy put the Allison cut on it.. However I need to send it to (Billy) It gets out of the hole good, excelerates good but only runs 1 mph more on the limiter than the 26 that Billy worked.. I think it just needs tweaked a little and some cup put back in it.

Keep us posted on your numbers with that mtr.... There are several guys around here that are (in the same boat)--- Pun Intended. With the rating issue. I keep telling them thay can still run with most any tournament loaded boat around that has a 250.

RedAllison

Hello Mr. Tom, good to hear from ya. Scottie told me you had put a 225XS on your 21 and he said you liked it, kinda wonderin about the rig myself. I know I'm gettin one in a couple of years and for the same tourney reasons with the new 225 rating plate, I've been wonderin about the SportXS as well. You got any numbers with the 1:62 SM yet???

You need to make Scottie bring you up too Pickwick nextmonth for the FB Rally, myself, Todd and Thom Bucknall and several other A-owners will be there. Sure would like to hang out wif ya again. :beer:
RA

Allison21tom

No numbers with the 1-62 sportmaster yet.
Scott and I have discussed making the trip.
However he has been real busy remodling his home's bath rooms.

fishnfireman

One more thing !

I forgot to tell you.
When I talked to Billy last year...He said he could work a Turbo prop to do better on that hull than the Trophy does.

Been thinking of trying one just have not done it yet....

Allison21tom

Thanks for the info, I'm planning on catrching some bass in the AM and also trying scott's 26 trophy. The Bass are bedding big time now. They are in the St Johns river from Jacksonville south to Big Lake George.

fishnfireman

Good luck !!!!

I am headed out next week to spend 4 days FUN fishing....(no tournament) .
They should be on the beds real solid by then. Been awhile since I have had a chance to just go bed fishing, looking forward to it.......My nerves can't take bed fishing when there is big money on the line any more...

Allison21tom

I agree, I like to catch them and release the fish immediately. There are a couple of tournament fishermen in this area that are really great bed fishermen. Push poles are the normal way to move down the shore line.