225X prop/setup

JOEALLY

Im planning to buy a 225X this week to put on my xb2003. I will have 14" setback, sport master lower, 1:87 gears.

What is the rpm limiter? 6750? 6900?

What prop do you think will work good for a 2 man tournament fishing load?

2003225X

Limiter is 6850. 26-27 ot would be a good all around prop. If you are planning to load the boat really heavy, not sure what would be best.

I thought you had the 200xs for the fuel mileage? I would have sold you my 225X if I knew you wanted one and got a 280! :very happy:very happy

xb03

Nothing has to been done to the sportmaster, unless your looking for every last mph.:big grin You should have no problem running the unmodded sm case.

JOEALLY

Limiter is 6850. 26-27 ot would be a good all around prop. If you are planning to load the boat really heavy, not sure what would be best.

I thought you had the 200xs for the fuel mileage? I would have sold you my 225X if I knew you wanted one and got a 280!
If I'd known you would've sold the 225X, I gave you a holla:gasp

I do need gas mileage, that's why I bought the 200xs (cause I had one before). But according to the numbers posted by guys with the 225X, it's not real far behind the 200xs on fuel mileage. I think they'll be almost equal at WOT and the 225X about 1-1.5 less cruising.

With that said, if it turns out to not be true, it won't be the 1st time the internet information failed me :LMAO:

If i don't like the 225X, I'm selling it and going with a 15" 250XS :gasp:big grin

xb03fs

So is a 225X supposed to be somthing of a cross between and opti and a efi or what? Maybe that needs to be my next motor???

Although I have also heard going to an ACU can seriously add some mpgs to an EFI. I think that will be the last mod I am going to do...

Darth VMAX

225x was the perfected version of the 225 Promax. Some claim its a tad stronger in the mid-range than the Promax.

Its no "cross". Just a pure EFI 2.5L HP motor, but it does pretty decent on gas if not going WOT. That being said, your 200 EFI will probably be a tad stingier in fuel than the 225x. BIG difference in performance though. From what your sig block says you could expect another 10 mph depending on your load.

IMO since your a Skiier, I think Joes 200xs would be stellar on your rig (if your in the market for a different motor). More fuel effecient and a little more HP and Rpms to play with over your bass motor.

Last edited:

catfish123

I would predict 5 to 5.5mpg most of the time with an XB2003 with 225X. Overall, they are a very good motor. Motor mount issues seems to be prevalent in most of them for some reason. The man who bought mine also had some issues with deterioration of rubber grommets that caused fuel delivery issues, etc. I don't think anyone ever figured out for sure why that happened. Possibly substandard grommets were used that had a compound issue?

JOEALLY

225x was the perfected version of the 225 Promax. Some claim its a tad stronger in the mid-range than the Promax.

Its no "cross". Just a pure EFI 2.5L HP motor, but it does pretty decent on gas if not going WOT. That being said, your 200 EFI will probably be a tad stingier in fuel than the 225x. BIG difference in performance though. From what your sig block says you could expect another 10 mph depending on your load.
I know the 225X is smartcraft compatible, what else is different between it and a regular pro max?

xb03

No, both engines are efi. The 225x has the down draft intake with a single throttle blade like the opti, also has an alternator like the opti. The 225x has the new style ignition crank position sensor, new style ecm, and cdm's, and a rev limiter @ 6850. The 225x also has o-ring heads, unlike the promax that just has gaskets. The 225 promax has the traditional ignition system stator, trigger, switchbox,ect, and a rev limiter @ 6750. Fyi, the promax is suppost to be easier and cheaper to mod.

catfish123

It has electronic oil injection as opposed to the "plastic gear driven" problematic one that regular Promaxes have.

JOEALLY

I would predict 5 to 5.5mpg most of the time with an XB2003 with 225X. Overall, they are a very good motor. Motor mount issues seems to be prevalent in most of them for some reason. The man who bought mine also had some issues with deterioration of rubber grommets that caused fuel delivery issues, etc. I don't think anyone ever figured out for sure why that happened. Possibly substandard grommets were used that had a compound issue?
5-6 mpg is what I'm hoping for with the 225X.

My 200xs can cruise at 7 mpg but all around averages about 6.

catfish123

You should only be slightly less on gas mileage with the 225x.

Darth VMAX

Cool Table. although the weights are a little off LOL

Reynolds used to have one that was really helpful too. Its nice some have chosen to leave these on their sites.