24v vs 36v trolling motor for an XB 2003

Soggybear

My XB 2003 came with a 36v Minkota with the large foot control and I am considering changing it to a newer Terrova with the copilot system but may opt for a 24v vs a 36v. I plan to enter fishing tournaments with a friend and want to be sure to have enough for long days or current conditions.

What can I expect from downsizing to the 24v?

:gone fishing

Soggybear

RedAllison

I fished tourneys and multi-day out of town trips for 7 years in my 03 and all it had was a 50 sumpin # 24V OMC and short of a rare storm I never needed more power. I have an 80# 24V MinnKota on my 21/3.0 and it's plenty as well. If I perhaps fished the MS River or other heavy current rivers/tidal waters I can't imagine needing anymore on it as well.

If you put an 80# 24V on an 03 it would for sure be easy to toss you out of it if you weren't careful, that's ALOT of power on an 03. A 36 on that boat is a waste IMHO and aint worth the 3 batteries you'd need anyway. :gone fishing
RA

Speedman

I have a 36 volt Mg on my xb2002 and it is NOT enough! I fish alot of rivers and the added weight of a battery is SURELY worth the amount of power you will get with a 36 volt. You already have one of the fastest well built boats, so what if you lose like 1/2 mph, if that, to ensure all day power on the water!!!!!!