250XS vs 250 pro XS

pickwickangler

Pro comes with a torquemaster and a 5 year warranty and a xs comes with either a TM or a SM with a 2 year warranty.

pickwickangler

The XS was the first of the two and was made by the Mercury Racing division. The earlier XS's would turn a few more RPM than the first Pro XS but I think that the few hundred more RPM that it would turn didn't matter cuz it was getting out of it's power band before it hit the limiter. I think they still claim the XS comes from the racing line but both power heads are identical now so I bet they come down the same assembly line.

IRONBLOCK

One other thing the "Pro" in Pro XS is supposed to indicate Production line (not Professional). Which is odd in that (like p.a. wrote) XS is supposed to be hand built by Mercury Racing Division. You can also buy a 2 year extended factory warranty for the XS for a total of 4 years under warranty; still 1 year less than a Pro XS'.

champ198

You can buy another 2 years of Mercury Product Protection on top of the five year warranty for the ProXS for a total of 7years. Not available on the SportXS and XS engines.

Darth VMAX

From what I have read, is there is not a nickles worth of difference in HP between the two. Lower-units and CARB Ratings (3 star vs 2-Star for the XS) are the main differences.

taken from another website:

Enhanced 3.0L OptiMax Bass Engine Offering
Mercury Marine is proud to announce an enhanced range of 3.0L OptiMax bass models designed to provide even more propulsion options to maximize the performance of your boats.

Joining the popular Pro XS series will be two new XS models that feature the Torque Master gearcase and two new Sport XS models with the Sport Master gearcase. These introductions round out a strategy to match the OptiMax brand (Pro XS, XS, and Sport XS) with a specific gearcase that better targets the performance needs of each segment within the bass market. A breakdown of the new 225-250 horsepower bass offering follows below.

1-225P73ED 225L Pro XS Verado Gearcase 1.75:1 3 Years Standard Production
1-250P73ED 250L Pro XS Verado Gearcase 1.75:1 3 Years Standard Production
1-192647GHD 225L XS* Torque Master 1.75:1 3 Years Racing Production
1-192847GHD 250L XS* Torque Master 1.75:1 3 Years Racing Production
1-192747BHH 225L Sport XS* Sport Master 1.62:1 2 Years Racing Production
1-192947BHH 250L Sport XS* Sport Master 1.62:1 2 Years Racing Production
1-192947DHH 250L Sport XS* Sport Master 1.75:1 2 Years Racing Production

*Built to order.

The biggest changes are the addition of the 225 & 250 "Sport XS" models, and the 225/250 XS models with the Torquemaster Gearcase (and 3 year warranty).

Last edited:

msharp

When it comes down to it , the real lake life of the two , not much at all in performance. I have a 05 XS250 . By far the BEST FISHIN / AZZHAULING motor I have been around . :big grin

Reel Life

I have a 2005 250xs with a TM with thw fatty prop shaft. Do all the XS have the TM w/ the fatty or is that an option? Do any of the sporty's have the fatty shaft?

Mark

RedAllison

I don't think Merc has put small shafts on 3.0s in awhile. If I remember right, back when the 3.0 carb/efi's first came out (mid 90s?) was about the time everyone started snappin shafts and Mutha Merks answer for that was the fat shaft.

Least das what I seems to remember, but my CRS is terminal so who knows! :confused: :banghead
RA

ALLISONMAN

I think the mounts are different 1 has rubber 1 has solid and also i want to think something in the mids are different also with one having a hd mid and the other not maybe hotprop will comment he knows the difference and you want the hp one for the allison!!

GotMyAlly

The 250XS SPORT is what I want, after doin' some readin'. But I'm gonna run my 225X for just a little while.

msharp

Get the sazzall out !!!!! lmao !!!! got alittle under 500 hours on mine . runs a
little better each year . going to put O rings in befor this season . guess its getting lose enuf to not worry about it cold seizen any more. OUTSTANDING service outa this motor.Just give her some warmup time .