260 low fuel pressure

dubmoney

I have installed a fuel pressure sender for a speed hut digital fuel pressure gauge which now resides in my dash. I really like it. Problem is it reads 38 lbs at start up then slowly drops to 22 or 23 lbs. I burn 20 gallons of gas on yesterday's test run and all seems good except for the fuel pressure. I have been warned and have a nagging feeling when I start to spin upwards of 6000 rpm this could be a real problem. What do you think it is cause. 1. Poor supply to the pump. 2. Regulator not allowing pressure to build to prescribed 39 lbs. 3. Poor calibration of fuel sender unit.???

patches

Likely a problem with your gauge. Your motor wouldn't run well for long at 22 psi. I'd try another gauge. If it proves correct check voltage to the pump, replace any filters, if those don't work replace regulator

dubmoney

Thanks Patches that reduces my fear of sticking my motor today. The filters are brand new Aeromotive 100 micron before pump and 10 micron after pump. The pump I'd on the floor. Fuel tank was just cleaned. I did use the original stand pipe that came with the boat. Would I need to check voltage at the pump while it is running? Electrical is not my strong suit.

bassracr

you want to wire up using a relay also, if it is not already . to keep full and constant voltage at pump.
something like this:

Attachments

Last edited:

patches

Thanks Patches that reduces my fear of sticking my motor today. The filters are brand new Aeromotive 100 micron before pump and 10 micron after pump. The pump I'd on the floor. Fuel tank was just cleaned. I did use the original stand pipe that came with the boat. Would I need to check voltage at the pump while it is running? Electrical is not my strong suit.
Yes, check the voltage at the pump with it running. Is there a sock filter over the end of the stand pipe. The relay listed above is a must if you don't already have one

dubmoney

Thanks bass racer and Patches. I have installed the relay as prescribed. I will remove the screen at the bottom of the stand pipe and check the voltage with the pump running. I put another 20 gallons through her today and hit my new high speed of 83... I think I might hit the trim button once on my next test.