280 and Klotz oil

Mr. Scary

I think I responded to this on S&F. Which Klotz oil? You should only be running the KL-333 standard 2-Stroke oil. Don't run their race oil - it will definitely have a tendency of fouling your plugs. If you run the standard 2-stroke oil, watch your mixture - don't go heavier than 50:1. I had a buddy mix it at about 32:1 and it took me forever to get the thing right again. I had to try and run it down (he comletely filled it up) and I had to keep adding gas topping it off to get the ratio right. I was too lazy to pump it out.

This was the case with any full synthetic. I eventually switched to Blue Marble which I've run ever since. Never had the problem again. Any synthetic blend will also probably cure that problem.

It was more predominant when I had to idle. If you're running some RPMs, you won't have the problem either. Mine would idle about 50 yards and foul a plug.

yellow20xd

I am running the KL333 40 to 1. . Another guy is running the same here local for some time and has no problems. Figures it would be me

Mr. Scary

Hard to explain. No need to run that heavier than 50:1 though. We had to run Blue Marble in ODBA one year as they were a sponsor. I used it and loved it. My motor was never better looking than when I took it apart after that year. Clean and in great shape. Every Synthetic I used (I used injector synthetics - not full race pre-mix only synthetics) had additives that actually put a lot of junk on the pistons whereas Blue Marble was really clean. A lot of guys that ran it that year mixed it too thin - they mixed it 50:1 or even higher like a synthetic but you have to mix it like a petroleum oil - 40:1 or so.

Bob Ant

I use Klotz 333 at 40 /1 on a 280 and I foul my fair share of plugs. Not sure if it is the oil or the cold start-up cycle on the motor.

ALLISONMAN

i ran 50:1 klotz for years no problems of course you also need to set your fuel trim to -1 on a ddt!!!!

rmills280

i run kl333 and have for the last 15 yrs. at 64/1 in all my motors inc. a 280 and the only time i've fouled a plug was when i put the wrong plug in the 280 thinking i was getting a hotter spark.

wally II

I have run the Klotz for 6 years now at 50 to 1 and never a problem fouling. I believe it was Reynolds racing that originally recommended this. I was running Mercury oil and then Klotz at 40 to 1 and had some fouling.

Scott in MN

Why are these 280's so touchy? If you switch over to 260 electronics are they still touchy about which plug they run and do they foul just as easy?

ALLISONMAN

ignition is critical on 280's I never had a problem with mine being picky other than setting it up right and putting the right plugs in it!!!! I even ran champion plugs and didnt have a problem with them!!! 260 electonics are ok other than they drink fuel like crazy and dont idle as smooth as the 280 stuff!!! the 260 electonics also allow the motor turn more rpms but for most lake use that is nothing gained!!!!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well, I've been running KL-333 at 32:1 in my 280 for years and have never fouled a plug yet!! It smokes a little but smells good! :idiot

So you guys are saying for sure, I can run 50:1 with the KL-333 and not have a problem?

As for the Drag motor, the manual says 32:1 doesn't it? I will be running one soon too and need to know also!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

Lou

ALLISONMAN

YEAH 50:1 is plenty for all out lake use and we run 65:1 for racing and never have any oil or fuel related problems!!! Now with that said that is with kl333 for lake use and the r-50 stuff for racing!!!! I wouldnt recommend using merc stuff, penzoil stuff or any other pet. based oil that lean but even klotz recommends on their container no richer than 50:1 ratio

Blue Gray in PA

I'm familiar with the Klotz name and know it's a good product. I guess my question is, Since the original owner of the 280 I'm hanging soon used Pennzoil in it since new, should I stick with that or go to Klotz? Is there a big motor protection, price or availability difference between these oils?

ALLISONMAN

I AM NOT a fan of penzoil alot run the oil and to each his own but i have ran klotz for years and know of many that have run klotz and never had any problems and i run mine pretty hard and know several others that run theirs hard!!!! Just my personal exprience and dealing with several other that have been around a long time and know a ton of do and donts!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARLIN

And, I dip into the the KL-333 from Glenn at RRM for weedeater and chainsaw use. Excellent results at same 25:1 or 40:1 ratios depending on the application. Used regular mineral oil based 2-cycle in first gallon of gas for breakin.

Allisonman. How good looking does she need to be?

Blue Gray in PA

A-Man,

Do you buy your Klotz locally or online somewhere? When I ran Honda two-strokes I used the Honda Hi Perf oil but with this outboard I'll definitely be using something else. Since I don't have any premix in the tank now and the motor has been sitting for two+ years, I'm open to suggestions on what to use.

Allison's Allison

I do believe merc recommends 32:1 for the drag motor and thats what I've been running using klotz since the motor was new. Less than 100 hours later I've only fouled one plug and that was after being fogged and sitting all winter. The thing is , I just hate the way it idles and loads up, thats why I was wondering if its ok to run a drag motor @ 40 or 50:1.