280 clear gel on plugs

Kerry Cordy

Gentlemen, I have ran my new 280 four times now, 20 gallons a day. Last run 1 week ago. When I bought the motor it had champions in it and they were black with carbon, looked normal. Before I ran the motor I bought new NGK plugs, the Heat range 8 posted on this forum under spark plugs. Yesterday I pulled them all out and they look strange. They have a little black where the plug fires, but the whole plug looks wet with water? But it's not water, it's a clear Gel and looks and feels like Vasaline petroleum jelly. I'm running that fine California prem\ethanol blend, 32oz amsoil to 9 gallons, and the merc carbon additive. I'm not running a water separator. I've emptied and started with fresh fuel each time.

What is the slimy clear Gel on all six plugs and is this a CONCERN?

Merry Christmas,

Allen

catfish123

Allen.......I'm sure someone else will chime in on this soon......but I've never heard of it. I do run a water separating filter and an NGK BZ 8H N 10 plug. I'm anxious to hear opinions of what this is. From many things I have read (only), Amsoil would not be my choice for 2 cycle oils but that probably has nothing to do with your issues. Have a great Xmas! Bob

Last edited:

Kerry Cordy

Good morning Bob and Mike

Mike, Im running the injector oil in the blue bottle. I can go over to the shop today and get the part number if you need more info. What oil and ratio are you guys running in a Lake motor?

Thanks for your thoughts guys,

Allen

patches

I'd lose the Amsoil. Alisyn makes good oil as is the full synthetic Pennzoil you can get from Wal mart. 40/1 in the Consumer 280. 32/1 in the ROS 280

catfish123

Pennzoil 100% synthetic and 40:1 in mine........so far, so good. Mine is a ROS 280 but I rarely spin it over 7500-7800.

BGohr

Where do you buy your fuel and why are you running the carbon additive??

JaySmithRacing

Ditch any and ALL Amsoil products PERIOD.... I'd run the 100% syn Pen. After you've perged the Amzoil out and ran a tank of Pen then make an assesment...

Jay

Kerry Cordy

Jay, thank you so much for your guidance. I will ditch the amzsoil and start using the pennzoil, then re-check the plugs. I'm buying my fuel at the highest volume station in the county. The fuel is fresh daily. It was recommended that I run Kwickcleen from Mercury in every tank. Should I run the Kwickcleen maybe every third run or so?

Allen

catfish123

I don't think the Quickleen is causing your issue. I have been a faithful user of Seafoam at about 1/2 ounce per gallon now for years. Some guys run Seafoam and Quickleen from Merc. I have started using some of the Startron product now along with the Seafoam. Startron is supposed to really help with the ethanol problem in gasoline.

Last edited:

BGohr

Jay, thank you so much for your guidance. I will ditch the amzsoil and start using the pennzoil, then re-check the plugs. I'm buying my fuel at the highest volume station in the county. The fuel is fresh daily. It was recommended that I run Kwickcleen from Mercury in every tank. Should I run the Kwickcleen maybe every third run or so?

Allen
You know, the reason we created TCW-3 oil was mainly because of the detergent package which cleans your engine automatically, so the additives you are buying are really not necessary, products like quickcleen, carbon guard, and ring free are not really necessary, those products are nothing but a high concentration of ingredients of the detergent packages found in TCW-3oils and were designed for use in older engines which already have carbon problems. The people who sell some of these "wonder additives" always recommend you use them, they sell them. The carbon removal products do work, we tested most of them real world.

As far as the oil goes just keep in mind as alot of people like to promote aftermarket oils, those oil manufacturers are not paying for the possible warranty issues, so, anytime you want to get the highest quality oil for your engine, buy it from someone has to supply you with the best product, the engine manufacturer, they are the ones who paid all the money to design, manufacture, as well as create the standards for 2 stroke oils, the aftermarket just follows along. As well during independent testing it was verified they would generally meet the specifacations only minimally.

The reason I asked about the fuel you use is. While working at OMC I was a part of a field issue with a similar problem. We had engines that were having the same issues, clear Jello in the carbs and cylinders.

What we identified was the fuel was gelling because the fuel had a given additive in it, in this case it was Valvetech, when by itself caused no issue, but when mixed with oil at 50 to 1 it turned to clear jello causing the carbs to need cleaning constantly. You could scrape it off the carb parts and it would turn to dust, you could look in the cylinders and see it, leave the plugs out and in 2 minutes it was gone, kinda weird, but when we had the local dealer stop using VT the problem went away.

JaySmithRacing

I don't sell oil or additives BUT I do KNOW that when a customer has used a steady dose of sea foam in small quanitys thier injector cleaning and calibrating bills are miniscule than the ones that didn't .. Thats a fact...

When in the motor building business and see the end result of near EVERY oil that is on the market you tend to get a feel for which one you'd use in your own motor. The Mercury oils are good but have an over dose of ash ( What causes a carbon build up ) I was involved in the developement of what is now days called Pen. IMO its base stock ( a polymer from EXXON ) and its add packs are one of the cleanest burning and best lubricating product on the market..To 8000 RPM's the Pen blend is what I'd be running on all steel sleeved motors , the Pen 100% syn on Nik coated bores to 8000 and over 8000 I'd be running Red Line..

PS I sell none of the above nor have a stake in any lubrication or additive you choose to use.. ...

Jay

Last edited: