280 Electrical Question

Kerry Cordy

Hey Guys, I need to find out who can help me. I went to the lake on Saturday and at the end of the day the brand new start battery was dead.
I brought the boat home and opened the service manual and ran through the checklist. I have a 2005 280 ss, service manual 90-840151 1098. On page 2b-10, at the top, it fails the SENSING CIRCUIT test. I unpluged the small two wire plug under the alternator, and put the DC testor on the male pin under the alternator, and the red male flat pin has no 12 volt current. It passes the next test, and there is current to this pole with the motor off and it goes from 12 and increases to 14 volts when use increase the RPM's to 2k. The red wire on the female plug is hot and it should because it runs to the starter solenoid.

My question is where does the purple wire go? How can the red lead be hot off the solenoid to this plug, yet where it plugs underneath is supposed to be hot also? The main red lead is hot and increases in voltage as the motor increases in rpm to charge the battery so this is great as stated above.

My local dealer shrugs his shoulders. Who can I CONTACT in our community that I can buy a new sensing circuit from and a person that I can pay for their time and guidance so I can get back on the water safely.

I'm fortunate that the boat did not start versus running out of battery and having the motor stop running while I'm running down the lake at 90 mph.

Thanks, Allen Cordy

Kacordy@gmail.com

Kerry Cordy

I'm located in Redding California, 2 hours north of Sacramento, near Lake Shasta