280 injectors flooding?

silverfox

I just sent my injectors to brucato to be flow tested and cleaned,linda called and informed me that all 6 are flooding at idle and full throttle,she also told me that she doesn't beleive cleaning will correct them.Has any one else found this problem on their 280?Are 260 injectors interchangable?my engine is a 2001 with about 150 hrs. Silverfox

B

BP

I have a 260 and a 280 and while I have never encountered the problem of an uncleanable one, I can tell you that the 260 and 280 do use the same injector.

silverfox

Linda's going to going call back after cleaning ,hopefully the news will be better.I'm thankful we have someone that will call and tell you when they find a problem.I have a buddy that tells me his 280 is starting to foul plugs and run rough.I would hope mercs injectors would last longer than 150 hrs. SILVERFOX XTB21-280

B

BP

Manufactured by Bosch, the injectors on our Mercury outboards were originally designed for automotive application.
Sitting idle for the winter months allows varnish and gummy deposits form on the pintle (tips) which in turn dimish the spray pattern as will any debris in the fuel supply.
It's really not any fault of Mercury or Bosch but that our usage requirements are tough on them.
Regular cleaning should be considered part of the commitment of ownership along with changing your fuel filter regularly.

While not as thorough as ultrasonic methods,cleaning them out with carb spray and compressed air will do in a pinch.

Brucato does provide top notch service and products, as myself and many others on this board can attest to.

JaySmithRacing

I agree with Bob , the Brucatos are "aces" when it comes to injectors and cleaning. I have had some 280s that all have failed the spec tests Linda puts them through and when the new onew s were installed the thing ran like a raped ape ! She ( Linda B. ) did suggest that the regular use of Quickleen and or like products help the life of the injectors they have tested...

Good luck,
Jay @ JSRE

TonyB

Sometimes injector problems go beyond "clean or dirty".
Like any mechanical device, a fuel injector can wear out or even be defective from the factory. No amount of cleaning will resurrect an injector in that condition.

We are pretty picky about the tolerances that we allow in our injector service. Many times we'll have somebody that sends in their injectors after an engine failure looking for a cause. It might only be 1 or 2% lean on a single injector that made the difference. We're not gonna gamble your motor over that.

BTW, Bosch will no longer produce the 036 injector that's used on the 260, 280, and Drag Motor after the middle of 2007.
The ones that we've got from them lately have been of lesser quality too.
Out of the last 100 new ones that we've bought, we rejected 39!!

silverfox

Thanks for the response.Perfomance and engine life are what we're looking for.Thanks to Tony and Linda we can be sure our injectors are up to the task!39 out of 100 new ones being rejected looks like bosch needs to tighten up on quality control.Thanks for all the input.Silverfox

white03

hey Tony,

If Bosh is no longer going to manufacture 260/280/drag injectors in the future... then are there options that owners of these motors can use if they need an injector??

Thank you

Bill

TonyB

We are looking in to that now Bill.
Some of the Japanese injectors are better quality than what we're using now. That looks like the best bet.