280 to 225 Question

Westy

I posted this on BBC thinking Jay would respond and got no love.:mad:

I have a JSRE 280 on a 20" mid and I'm considering replacing the powerhead with a 225PM. Will this work as long as I swap a complete powerhead IE: electronics etc? Is the 225 PM powerhead going to be compatable with my mid?

The only reason I'm considering this is because I want to be able to put more hours on my motor and not have to worry about doing a ring job all the time. I used to put over 100hrs a year on my motor and now that I have the 280 I tend to go out less. Don't get me wrong I love the 280 but for what I want to do it just makes sense to have a steel sleeve motor.

TIA

xb03fs

I think I have read something about an adapter plate being needed for correct water cooling passages but otherwise no issues

BP1

Yes it will work, but you want to run a 2 piece adapter plate w/ poppet valve as the cooling requirements are different on the promax.

fnshrmaster

I am doing the same swap with a 260. I picked up the CORRECT adapter plate/tuner and you will also have to change your water pump and tube to 1/2, I believe the 280 has a 3/4 that won't work with a two piece adapter plate.

Westy

Thanks for the responses. I should have posted here first.:very happy Is this two piece adapter plate readily available? Any sources on getting one?

Last dumb question (don't believe it). Where does this adapter plate go? Between the mid and the powerhead?

fnshrmaster

Try S&F, I found on there, think I paid 225 + the ride. Make sure it's for a promax 225, the tuner is different and possibly something else, not sure.

Yes it goes between the powerhead and midsection. You will also have to change the top bolts for the motor mounts, the 280 uses bigger bolts.

Westy

I am doing the same swap with a 260. I picked up the CORRECT adapter plate/tuner and you will also have to change your water pump and tube to 1/2, I believe the 280 has a 3/4 that won't work with a two piece adapter plate.
You are corect I have a

Westy

Try S&F, I found on there, think I paid 225 + the ride. Make sure it's for a promax 225, the tuner is different and possibly something else, not sure.

Yes it goes between the powerhead and midsection. You will also have to change the top bolts for the motor mounts, the 280 uses bigger bolts.
Bummer, this is starting to sound like this may be above my merc skills. Does this adapter plate and tuner go in from the top when the powerhead is removed or do you have to tear the mid down to do this?

fnshrmaster

Yes it sets on the mid just under the powerhead. You can do it, take your time, lots of great help here. You may need different powerhead studs, not sure if the length is the same for the two piece. I will find out when I do mine.
You will need some gaskets too, I can get you part numbers if needed, I just bought all of them.

Dave Hensley

Powerhead studs are different. Short ones are shorter, all six I believe. I think the 20" can uses the same long ones. Should be able to pick up water for poppet valve off the one piece adapter. I have seen it discussed. I need to do same with 225x one of these days unless i get a 260 powerhead with SVS....

Westy

I have to say this sight is totally awesome. You guys have always come to my rescue. i need to sit down and do a pros and cons list.

Thanks to all that replied.

fnshrmaster

I too am at the same crossroad as you. I love my 260, but think the Promax will be a better "fit" for what we use the boat for. Fishing, water sports and the occasional blast up to 90. For me a Promax will be plenty, I hope....

Mr Dave spring is right around the corner, get your wrenches ready.

90 5.0

Shouldn't be too hard to find someone with a good Pmax that wants to go to a 280 and trade their Pmax plus some cash for your 280.

Set both boats next to each other and swap it all over powerhead to can.