3 to 2 battery on 02

ScreaminBlu

Hello all Ally guys......Need some input......12/24 Motorgyuide...thinking of going to 2 group 27 batteries,just don't get to fish long anymore(health)I've seen on this site about placing 2 in front of the gas tank(out of the wings)What is the advantage of this?Thanks guys for some advice...42 lb.thrust

White Ally02

You may get better balance and be a little bit quicker by loss of the 3rd battery and moving them to the center, but if you have to service your pumps it will be a bit tougher.

allisondog69

that is how i have my batteries in my xb2003 , i tourny fish and use the heck out of my tm, and never had a prob with drained batt., when you run from one spot to another you accually put a pretty good charge on the batt. , so kinda benificial.

J

John Richied

Moving the batteries to in front of the fuel cell gives the boat a better holeshot due to the weight of the batteries being moved from behind the transom (rear side compartments) to further forward helps bring the bow down. Especially when the fuel cell is full and you’re loaded down.

Also it’s a lot easier to get to you batteries, and the battery cables in the boat are plenty long enough to move them about anywhere you want.

Another benefit is with the batteries in front of the fuel cell (an area not used for storage) this opens up the side compartments and you actually gain storage room.

whipper

two in front of cell

That is a great idea John! On my GSE its the same there is room on the port side stringer mold forward of the cell. And opening up the port storage area completely. The cables for the starter actualy are routed beside the cell. For the trays do ya just use nice stainless screws and do ya know how long not sure whats under there, cavity or solid? James

whipper

batterys

One Q about moving batteries in front of fuel cell, is there any risk of fumes in the same area as batteries? Do ya half to turn on bildge or not. James

GFinch

A good Question... As Hydrogen gas is produced while charging there would be some in the compartment. I don't think a high enough consentration would be built up while running down the lake, but I always leave the compartment lid open when on the charger at home.
On my XB2003 I wondered why there weren't any vents. I found there is a path way all the way around the rear of the boat thru all the compartments.

chad202

I've been running two batteries in my XB2003 in front the fuel cell for over a year now with no problems. Frees up alot of space in the compartments and makes balancing the boat very easy.

J

John Richied

I'm not sure which Allison hull you own, I own an XB-2002 and what I did was use the aluminum angle iron piece that goes across the back to hold the front of the fuel cell down. I had a piece of flat aluminum 3/8" thick cut to like 8" wide and however wide that aluminum angle iron is, I think it's like 24". I then laid the aluminum flat stock under the aluminum angle iron stock and marked the holes. After I matched the holes up I drilled them and bought four stainless steel screws 3/8" longer then the original ones used on the tank hold down.

I then took the new flat stock and counter sunk the four holes so the new screws would line up identically as they were before.

I then bought two pieces of stainless steel thread-all