300 Drag Issues

wasmeneh

Well I took my 300 Drag on my XB 2003 to a club tournament on Saturday. Started fine ran to first spot no problems. Never cranked her up again until the end of the day. Started fine but would come on plain felt like it wasn't firing on all cyls. idled a couple of 100 yards and while making a right turn she started to pick up speed got her on plane and to the ramp still wasn't running right. Parked her, got trailer, started right up idled to trailer and no power to load.

Checked the plug and #4 looks cleaner than the rest like it may not be firing correctly ( I had replaced this plug before the tournament since it had done this once before)

The service history on the engine is unknown, the guy I bought it from thought it was a 200 EFI. The only thing I have done is change out all the fuel lines to ethanol resistant ones, ran fine right after that. The boat hadn't been run in about 45 days but fuel had been stabilized with Stabil Blue and some Sea foam.

I'm thinking either injectors or coil pack. Can't find the part # for the coil pack on Mercury parts express. My engine Serial # is OD 937368.

Mike

njj502

What's #4 piston look like? Is it really clean too, like steam cleaned? May have a head gasket/oring prob. Could also hav a flooding injector...

ROBERT CROSS

I was surprised to learn that our bad coil pack was effecting two cylinders.
Guess I was too focused on my auto background, after all shouldn't it plane out on 5....not when it's actually 4. :banghead

Bob
:at the bar