300 XS skeg

robert

Has anyone done a Titus or JC mod on a 300XS lower unit? Just curious. Mine is bone stock on a XB21 Prosport. I know it is a common mod on Promax 225 but haven't heard anything on the 300XS. Would the benefits be the same?

Robert

RedAllison

I'm sure I'll get some flack for this comment (but since when has that ever stopped me before... :big grin )

I would NOT cut the skeg on a 3.0/21 combo down to 200/Ally cut specs. I'd sweep the portside down to match the curve on the starboard side but I wouldn't whack on it and remove much else material. I just think the big motor and hull NEED that extra "glue" (and safety/insurance margin) when the fatgal is up and strollin 90+. There's ALOT more torque and weight with these rigs compared to the 20ft 2.5s and I personally think they need the extra beef back there for safety.

Now where did I put that Nomex suit???
RA

hack02

Seems I read over on FB were some of the Stroker and Bullet guys have had Titus work on theirs with noticeable gains over stock. I would go over there and do a search.

patches

Just curious but how do the 21 ft Allison's stack up speedwise to the 21 ft Bullet. I don't see much about the speed capabilities of the big Allison's. What motor does it take to get one to 100 mph

RedAllison

Just curious but how do the 21 ft Allison's stack up speedwise to the 21 ft Bullet. I don't see much about the speed capabilities of the big Allison's. What motor does it take to get one to 100 mph
I think either of the 300X/300XS will push the 21 ProSport/SUB or the 2+2 over 100, I'm not sure about the 21 2 seater though. I haven't heard of any 2 seaters with 300s that were set up for topend so I can't say. 105ish is as fast as I've heard of from the 21 with a 300X a couple years ago. We can bust 90 with the 225XS on 2+2s and ProSports so I don't see why the 300s wouldn't run 10mph faster.

Aint sayin it can't happen but I've never seen or heard of a 21 Bullet breakn 90 with a 225 on it, most of the 21 Bullets I see with 250s still have Torquemasters on em so I KNOW they aint runnin much over 85! Stroker HAS, there's one or two around with 225XSs that have done it.

These ol biguns are different when you get them up and flyin, instead of Corvette or Ferrari think more of floatin and bouncin in a big ol ragtop Eldorado! :beer:
RA

ps
I'll admit right now, I aint crazy nuff or gotda balls to drive one but I'd like to see a 21 SUB with a near 400hp Hydrotech Yammie on it. As fast as they are pushing the Strokers I'd have to think easy 110-115 or so would be possible from the SUB. DAMN that's a big, heavy hole inda wind ya pushin at that speed. I'll watch from the ramp with a Harvest Moon in my hand.

Last edited:

RobShaw-BasSport

I bought a brand new BasSport Pro (2 seater) in Oct 07. It came with a brand new 250XS with a sportmaster and 1:75 gears. After my first few runs, I changed the gears to 1:62 and took my gearcase to Robbie Patterson. That gearcase looked like it had been cast by a 12 year old on a Friday. Robbie's mods do not include any welding or cutting, simply a much more hydrodynamic case going through the water. The difference in driveability and performance were astounding.

Ive always admired the work that Titus does but I dont not have any first hand experience with his mods. I know that I would have a hard time having to remove my gearcase in the winter just to keep it warm (as is recommended due to the fillers he uses). Having said that, the performance gains from the Stroker crowd that use his gearcases have all been positive.

Additionally, many folks have the misconception that over the hub props are not a good fit with these 21' models, they certainly are with mine!

My mods to date are the Robbie Patterson gearcase, Eric Simon flywheel, Eric Simon ECU. I can run fully loaded (thats how I keep my boat, Im a tournament fisherman) in the 90's all day long.

RedAllison

That gearcase looked like it had been cast by a 12 year old on a Friday.
TELL ME about it Rob! My case must have been in front of or behind yours at the factory. :cuss Honestly looked like a clay mockup that wasn't finished yet! I've touched it up with a diamond pad but haven't made any wholesale changes on it perse, just had to do SOMETHING with that nose I mean it looked like it had been drug down the road or something and that was BEFORE it ever touched the water.

I wonder if they are any better today?
RA

GotMyAlly

TELL ME about it Rob! My case must have been in front of or behind yours at the factory. :cuss Honestly looked like a clay mockup that wasn't finished yet! I've touched it up with a diamond pad but haven't made any wholesale changes on it perse, just had to do SOMETHING with that nose I mean it looked like it had been drug down the road or something and that was BEFORE it ever touched the water.

I wonder if they are any better today?
RA
Take your gearcase off.

Put it in the trunk of your car.

Bring it (and a case of beer) to Olive Branch.

I'll grind the hell out of it.......

catfish123

Grind the lip off the pad while you're at it................LMAO..........you may as well do all the mods at one time!