300R on XB21

Blueally XB21

Can any of you share your set up differences, driving experience differences, etc., between the 2.5's and the 300R's. I had a 2.5 that seemed to take set well and handle well. I recently replaced it with a 300R. I love the smoothness of the engine and the torque is unreal. I haven't found the sweet spot yet for getting the boat to take set and run top end numbers. I haven't had the engine long and still learning the new set up. I am running a 32 MAX 5 with 1.75 gears. Thoughts or suggestions?

RiverRocket

What is your goal? How heavy do you typically run? Are you a tournament guy?

The 32 Max 5 is a great wheel for just about anything but top end. I have yet to run one that will outrun one of my P4 BC or even my P3's. However, a P4 BC won't carry a tournament-loaded boat like the Max 5. Around 100 to 101 the Max 5 gets weird. I would run other props if I'm out for 100 plus running.

The 32 Promax has proven to run very well on the 300R 2+2. We have done a lot of testing on that setup. It is a 100 mph wheel on that combo. I would run 8 open PVS holes on your combo.

While the Bravo took the day on the test video, I was never a fan of running it. It shocked me that day when it took the field. It was a good wheel, but a stock Bravo wouldn't run as well as the one for the test video above.

Blueally XB21

I am a fisherman with medium load. My problem is when approaching speeds near the upper 60's the boat doesn't handle well, basically it won't take set like the 2.5 did. Almost like a balance problem, It seems to want to drop off to the left? I have the troller batteries on the left side in the rear and a new (heavier ultrex, upgrade from the Maxxum wich was 27 pounds lighter) in the front. I'm sure I can reach the 100 mph mark once I figure out this set-up. Any thoughts....Engine height, balance corrections, set-back, etc?

Last edited:

RiverRocket

It sounds like you do have a balance problem. I would start moving weight, or bring additional weight out in the boat and move it towards the driver to get an idea of how much needs to move. What side was your oil tank on with the 2.5? If you had one. Also, did the trim pump sit in the boat for the 2.5, if so what side was it on.

The troller is heavier, so that will throw your side to side off. Also, the Max 5 lifts the entire boat unlike a lot of props. I have found it runs differently than pretty much everything I have tested. The boat did handle differently. Not a bad difference. It just feels like it rides higher.

As you have noted, start with moving weight. Just small amounts and see what it does. Also raise that motor up around 60 until your pressure falls off. Keep it around 20 and you should be good for a climb up into the 90's at that height. The R can run really high. Also make sure you find neutral trim. You shouldn't need to go much over neutral trim. I ran up into the 100's at neutral. You don't have to worry about the high motor heights if you are at neutral.

Blueally XB21

Thanks for the suggestions. My oil tank was slightly towards the drivers side over my cranking battery, my trim/pump unit was all engine mounted. I will bring some extra weight and try balancing better. Thanks for the motor height and trim information as well. I'll keep you all posted. Did you notice how the max 5 handled rough water? better or worse? Any tips for the rougher waters?
Also, was the promax you all tested lab promax or strictly stock?

Last edited:

SLOmofo

"I will bring some extra weight and try balancing better. "
Better to use things that are always in the boat to balance it then add more weight. I have two thick cloth bags with about 20 pounds of bird shot in them. I only put them in the boat if I expect to take someone for a ride. Usually just one. Also my batteries are in a tray I made that is attached dead center just in front of the gas tank. It also holds the relays that make both into 24v for my trim system and then at rest they are hooked together so the engine will charge them

Attachments

GotMyAlly

When I went from a 2.5 to a 3.0 on my first xb21, changing nothing else, the first thing I noticed was a need for less trim. The extra motor weight acted like additional leverage. If I trimmed to the same point that I did previously, it would make the nose too flighty.

Blueally XB21

RiverRocket, could you give me a call at --**** at you convenience? I would like to discuss my set up with you if you have the time.
Thanks.

Last edited: