31 cleaver ?????

whipper

I was reading the thread at the bottom of the page and does enyone know what kinda numbers a cleaver prop will run on say my Grand Sport with a 225 pro max. Can I run a larger pitch with these style of props over a chopper? They sound like they have good stearn lift and for my GS over a XB 02-03 requires more than the other Allisons in that dept. I am going to get a 30 chopper11. But Im really interested in finding out how a cleaver would be on my Allison before I buy one.I was thinking on a 31 Cleaver? They look like they would cut the water easier than a eared prop so figure I could go up a pitch or two. Strickly would be a one man top ender light load in Boat. Feed back would be greatly apreciated. Numbers would also be great and does any one race with these on an Allison? James

J

John Richied

James I have a 28-pitch cleaver you can try at the rally in May. I bet my 30-pitched Lightning ET will be the bomb for your top speed run!

You can never try too many props!

Is it May yet? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

whipper

Thats my problem up here is no props available for me to try. I would love to try a 30et! :mrgreen: I got luckey when I bought my 28drag4 I bought it off of Darkallison so I got exactly what he said it would be. I love this prop for loaded and unloaded. It would be nice to line up 10 different props and pick one to buy after trying them all! oh what fun that would be! :twisted: Theres a traveling bussiness in there I think? :shock: {Prop days} try em before ya buy em. James

Dark Allison

James, back in the 80's there used to be a guy called the prop DR. He would meet you at the river get the specs on your boat check his records and test props. At the end of his session you had the best runnin prop for your boat and your wallet was $1000.00 :shock: lighter. Most of his business was bass fishermen looking for 2 more mph to outrun their buddies.

J

John Richied

James, at the rally you can try a ton of props. Most are not for sale, but they will help you decide before you buy.

I have a 24 and 26-pitch real Yamaha drag, 28 and 30-pitch Lightning ET and the 28 Merc Cleaver. You are more then welcome to try all of them if you can find the time. Oh yeah and a 26 Trophy prop. :mrgreen:

Another prop you might like on your rig, I sold mine was a 29 DAH-SRX… Other guys have a lot of props and will let you try them.

Get to the rally as early as you can 3,4,5 or 6 days goes by fast!

whipper

Right on Ill be there for the tuesday. Ill be in Washington monday night and ill look you up since you have a radar detector and we can fly down on tuesday am? Me and my Ally and my 454 Burb :mrgreen: my chopper I broke I sent to DAH and she worked sweet. I think she was a little thin at the cup only lasted around 30 days of boating. Mind you every min when that was on I was light and bymyself if ya Know what I mean :twisted: The drag4 on the other hand you probably couldnt dint if ya hit it with a hammer! Prop Dr that sounds like who I need. How ya bin James I recomend that dr4 to anyone looking for an alternite to a trophy for an alrounder, sweet prop. James

whipper

Thanks every one! I only realy have the 28 drag4 now my 25 trophy is a spare. If ya never run one of these bad boys ya can try her out aswell. I am hopeing to get two more over the winter. A 30 chopper11 used and a new 29 hydomotive Quad IV X ob. And an ACU from Tony. I better start slippen some funds in a seperate account bit by bit so wife wont kill me! :shock: Is WINTER over yet. We got a foot of snow and its 10 below every night!!!! Later James

catfish123

A 30 ET worked by Rich Boger has been the best top end prop on my XB2003 with 225X.

whipper

No problem Badbait. I am going to get her just before the Rally. The ice is off april 18 every year so buy may a couple of the smaller lakes are clear of debre to try out that prop. + they have a 30 day send er back policy so know point in getting her when I cant run her. It will be a 29 or a 30 depending if I have the new ACU on or not buy then. 30 if not, 29 if I can rev her to 7000-7200 acu. 6750 intact so would need a 30 to get bigger numbers with out. James

lightening rod

James,

Mdrury had a 32 lab finished cleaver he could run on a grandsport to the mid 90's. I ran that same prop on my XB2003/225promax and ran 97 and change with 3 batteries and 1/2 tank of gas, but no TM or fishing gear or extra seats. I loved the way the cleaver handled and drove, the hole shot was very surprising for a 32in wheel. Hope this helps a little.

Chris

whipper

Thanks Chris! I heard some were they worked on GS hulls. I like the look of them too. They are a dime a dozzen on S&F so I though Id try one and if I dont like it Im sure I could get my money back. There are diff styles just not sure wich one to try first. The ET,s sure look like a cross between a cleaver and a chopper dont they? Well see my first pic on a new prop is a 29Xob Hydomotive though then well see.

GotMyAlly

Thanks Chris! I heard some were they worked on GS hulls. I like the look of them too. They are a dime a dozzen on S&F so I though Id try one and if I dont like it Im sure I could get my money back. There are diff styles just not sure wich one to try first. The ET,s sure look like a cross between a cleaver and a chopper dont they? Well see my first pic on a new prop is a 29Xob Hydomotive though then well see.

I'd think your boat would be light enough that a QuadIV O/T would work great. I think the Xob is for heavier loaded bass boats.

whipper

The prop that Todd at hydomotive said he runs on his GS was the IV-XO/B. He says that with the ProMax 225 itll run in the 90,s only 2 or 3 mph less than a 3 blade but with better hole and mid. The OT is the heavy loaded Boat prop I think. The o/b is that new 15 inch hubbed prop with shorter bade area for better all rounder if I remember right. I wish i could just try em all then dicide!!! I figure Ill need 3 or 4 more eventualy to cover my moods! I would though just out off curiosaty like to try a cleaver one day. The ones I have owned all have there merrit. My fave all rounder is 28drag4 my best hole shot is a 25 trophy {would like to compare 28 trophy with 28 XO/B} Top end was till I slung it a older worked dah 30 chopper.Im looking for a new top end prop but with the new props these days Im thinking I could get very close top ends as a 3 blade in a 4 with some better hole shot to. I just can buy one prop this winter with my budget or sould I say wifes idea of overspending!! So Im realy trying to make a educated desition on this. If I bought two props Thats easier, I,d get a merc 30 chopper11 and a 261VXo/b. So my thinking is if I go 29IVxO/B I might cover all the bases so to speak? My 28dr4 is close but doesnt have the top end im looking for it gos 86mph so im hopeing that going up 1 in a hydomotive with the big barrel I can see 90 at least apparently they will pull more rpm yet still post low slip#? My 30 chopper would do 93.6 at 1200ft elevation but only buy my self light fuel. And the Cleaver post was information as I had no clue how they would performe on a pad hull. James

BigRedAlli

James,
Biggest problem of having a bunch of props is, deciding which one to play with. :) I stand out in the shed for 10 min. sometimes, trying to figure out which one's to take.

Why not save your money till the Westren Rally. I garrantee you will try out several different props, and probably have to have at least one or two of them...:lol:
Marty

whipper

Good point! even with only three it takes me 5-10 min somtimes. Ill start thinking about it the night before and change my mind when I open the box once the other ones off!! Ill buy one before the rally and decide on another after for sure. Im almost sure it will be one from Todd before. James