444 or 45.70

pickwickangler

Our state has started lettin us use ol replicas and old calibers bigger than .35 to use instead of a muzzle loader during primitive season. I really want the 35 whalen but as of now it is not availible so my only 2 reasonable choices are a 444 or a 45.70. Anybody want to suggest one? I am tired of floppin around on wich one I want :argue:banghead:big grin

The Cashew Kid

444. My brother has had pure hell gettin his 45/70 sighted in like he likes it. He is not the only one either. I personally know 2 other people that have told me a 444 is much better also. One of the guys I personally have known for over 25yrs(hence no 2nd hand info is my point) dumped a dam near brand new 45/70 and got a 444. Sure makes me wonder though because so many people I hear of shoot a 45/70. If I was gettin one tomorrow I'd be gettin me a 444.

patches

probably easier to find ammo for the 45-70. i've never messed with either so i can't speak to the accuracy

RedAllison

Stay away from the POS single shot New Englander elcheapo break actions. They are about as accurate as a 12ga with buckshot, especially in big bores like the 444 and 45/70. Come off the pocket and get a Winchester/Browning falling block 45/70 just like the ol market hunters used to use on the plains in the buffalo days. Those old guns will SHOOT now and are capable of shooting deer as far as you will with your old "tirty naught six"!!! As many damned rifles as I have I've gotten tired of the same ol same o and thought about a really nice Sharps. The old guns have character and style and Andy you need all the help you can get in those departments... lmao

Ka pie yow, :relax:
RA

ps
I realize you can't use them during the primitive weapons season, but some guns like the Marlin levers and a TC Encore you can load the 45/70 up too near 458 Winchester Mag pressures. You never know when them Corinth, MS deer might charge!!! :big grin

Last edited:

pickwickangler

You can use a encore now. From what I gathered a 444 is a better cal. with box stock ammo. I did buy one of them POS single shot handi rifles in a 444 LOL. Some of my buddies have been getting good groups out to 250 yards. That's plenty of range being my longest "legal" shot will prolly be less than 150.

patches

fadeproof red flash is right. the 45 70 factory stuff is downright neutered because of the old rifles still around. in a strong modern rifle you can run it right up to genuine *** kicking levels. your's and the deer's.:big grin

RedAllison

Damn I didn't now you could use the Encores down there, hell theyd be NO question then in that case.

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!
RA

pickwickangler

Dialed in the H&R single shot 444 this morning, nice shootin gun. I only shot out to a hundred yards but it seemed to be grouping good as I adjusted my scope. I like it a heck of alot better than my knight disc 50 cal.

pickwickangler

The more I shoot this thing the more I like it!!! I had to run to town to get some more ammo and will shoot it out to 200 yds this week and see ifn she will shoot as good as everybody is claiming. Some sayin they touchin holes at 200 but thats gonna be tough to do with a 3x9 scope. Here is a pic of the gun and the bullet I am using next to a 30-06 for comparision. The 30-06 may take a much needed rest this year.

While I was in town gettin more ammo I looked for a Obama for Pres. campaign sign to jack for a new target (campaign signs make great targets) but they was none to be found in Corinth,MS .....Imagine dat LOL.

Attachments

Last edited:

strip

I have a winchester .375 that is a heck of a round. Rounds are hard to find though. I think you will be happy with the .444 I have been thinking on converting one of the Rem 760 pump guns to a .444 I know where there is a lever action marlin that has been converted to a .500 Alaskan. I would like to shoot a deer with it just to see how she does.

RedAllison

Andy sinceya only need one shot anyway, you considered the smokeless Savage? I've had one for a few years and they are an honest 300yd "front stuffer" and since they shoot smokeless powder they don't require anymore cleanin than your ol tirty naught six!

:at the bar
RA

pickwickangler

Andy sinceya only need one shot anyway, you considered the smokeless Savage?
I got all I need. I shot it out to 205 yards and it shot a 2 1/4" group. Group should tighten as barrel breaks in and I was using my 4 wheeler seat for a prop. I only hunt woods so I doubt I will be making a shot over 125 yards. I am interested on how it will perform on game, 265 grain bullet at 2325 fps should provide some knockdown power!!