89 xtb-21 with 89 115 suzuki

Ronnie

Anyone ever setup an xtb with a small engine? 82# Motorguide,2 batteries in front of fuel tank,no charger, 5 1/2" manual CMC jp, 3 1/2" under the pad,13x21aluminum Suzuki prop,3/4 tank of gas.Boat runs 50 mph gps @5600 with just me.I bought a 13 1/2x24 Raker to try.Would Trophy or Tempest be better?I have the Ally Red Book but it doesn't say anything about small engines.Trying to get all i can out of it before i take it off.Mid 60's would be great.
Thanks

brotherxb03

I think you may see 60 with the a good prop and running higher withe the mota,but you may need a low water pickup to set it up correctly.

jimmyb

i would definately play with props... and you might be able to get away with out getting a low water pickup, since your top speed will be "low". I am definately not very familiar with the suzuki gearcase, but i would raise it until you are running out of water pressure, then try to set the boat up from there. I would definately try some other props like you mentioned. The key will be gettinga prop that gives you good bow lift... both a trophy and tempest do a great job and a tempest is usually faster than a comparable raker

msethsmile

Funny Guy
xtb suzuki

Never had an XTB or a Suzuki but here's my 10 cents. My GS ran 73 with a 115 Johnson Fastrike. 55-6 with 5 men, 1000+ lbs.
1. Lots and lots o' set back.
2. Can you plug upper portion of water intake on a Suzuki (raise motor?)
3. Work prop slippage calculations backwards starting with 65 mph.
4. Over hub big ear (RE3, Chopper, etc)

Ronnie

I'll try to plug off the top two holes,I have a water pressure gauge also.I had the engine buried because the aluminum prop wanted to suck air.Why would more set back help?How much more set back?Does a Raker lift the bow or stern? How about a SRX prop? Shooter?I had a Ranger before and it's like nite and day between the 2 boats.I'm on a learning curve here lol. Thanks for any info, Ronnie

msethsmile

Funny Guy
HP and motor weight carry the bow. When you see guys at wot with 20 ft of spray above their engine, that's not spray, it is wasted horsepower (angle of attack is bad). With more setback you need less hp to carry the bow (lever and fulcrum). You have very limited hp. Limits to this are, strength of the transom, length of the cables, attack angle of the motor. The ultimate, most efficient, and fastest set-up is when at wot you are carrying the bow (little wetted surface) and your propshaft is parrellel to the surface of the WATER. Actually, a slightly negative angle is fastest. Again, I don't know the xtb hull but on a typical allison go back 10 inches at least. On my gs I was back 15 because of the weight of the motor (less than a v6) and limited hp.

Ps. Don't put cement blocks in the bow.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Pps

Pps.
I don't know any of the omc props except the srx. The srx has fairly large ears but last I knew it only came in 27 and 29 pitches. The 27 MIGHT work if you pitched it down.