95 xb2003 prop hight

local103racing

Hi i am trying set up my 260 with a 20 inch offshore mid and a sports master lower i have a worked 28 p chopper there is no lip on the pad i have 10 inch Allison plate on the back with a 4 inch land and sea hyd plate the motor is a ported 260 pushing about 330 hp any suggestions as to height any info will be greatly appreciated

catfish123

I would hesitate going much higher than 1/2 inch above the pad. Proceed with caution if you go higher than that.

chad202

Depends what you wanna do. To achieve max you have to be around 1 3/4" above. Yes I know people say that's way to high and they have the right to there opinion. I've owned that exact setup and once the lip was gone, I never hooked the boat. I've ran that setup at 2 1/8" above but couldn't sustain water pressure so came back down. 2" above was borderline on water pressure. I could make a pass or two but that's it cause engine temp would wanna get to high.

chad202

Now before you just raise the motor I advise you learn the boat and slowly go up learning between each height increase.

local103racing

Thanks chad thats great info I was thinking about starting even with the pad with the jack plate all the way up to learn the boat and its power going from a 225 stock promax to a mod 260 330hp is going to be a huge difference dez nuts or dave built the motor his stuff is unreal for sure

local103racing

What's a good prop to spin I have been using a worked 28 pitch big ear chopper I also have a. Brand new 25 pitch trophy

xb03fs

Lip, pad condition, gearcase condition, setback, type of prop and load all factor into the safe height to run...

My experience has been the higher you run the better they drive and faster they get, but the margin for error shrinks...

With new props, I would always start 1/4" below and work up by feel. Even at the beginning of every trip I lower 1/4" from a known good height with a particular prop just in case the load for the day doesn't allow for such a high motor height.

I too had a modded lip and ended up quite high above the pad, but mine had renalds lip mods per previous owner...it sure handled sweet.

local103racing

There is no lip on the pad it's been worked but looks real nice I'm running a 330hp 260 with no limiter the motor will go to 10k easy I have a 20 inch ros smooth back mid and a 187 fat shaft sporty its all sitting on a 10 inch Allison jack plat with a 4 inch land&sea hyd plate I have never ran the trophy but the 28 chopper worked good with the old promax

whipper

i wouldnt run a trophy above the pad. i have a 25 trophy and they actually like to be in the water more than most designs anyway. they are a semi surfacing not a surfacing prop. They wont last in the air at high rpm. last thing you want is that thing slinging a blade into your sweet motor! i would carry it as a spare only really with your setup. Being able to spin to 10000 I would be trying to find a sweet hydromotive T3X sport in a 26. the Knob cut is a Chopper11 cut buy Hydromotive to a T3X. If you cant find the T3X Todd has another option in a 26 his new OB just call him. He will hook you up! 26 is a nice all round pitch when ya got revs and decent for cruising. 26 Hoss Triton 11 ill bet works good also. Stick with know props that dont really ever have a reputation for slinging. Trophys work great with a 225 but i wouldn't trust them on your beast. BTW I love the sounds of your new power!! Good luck with it have FUN and be Safe.

local103racing

Thanks for the info that's good to no I think I'm going to keep using my 28 p chopper for now that's been worked for my rig but I will have to check out a fewore options for props for sure I have a nice yahmaha drag prop I want to through that on there for the 800 foot blasts but I will be looking for a nice all around prop for my setup

chad202

A 25 trophy is a very good prop for that setup. It's what I fish with and can run trips with it. Very stable prop. Now I don't live at wot with that prop but it's an efficient prop that cruises very well. I still have the 28 RL cut chopper that I ran 107 with my 03/260. I haven't decided if I wanna sell it yet.

whipper

A 25 trophy is a very good prop for that setup. It's what I fish with and can run trips with it. Very stable prop. Now I don't live at wot with that prop but it's an efficient prop that cruises very well. I still have the 28 RL cut chopper that I ran 107 with my 03/260. I haven't decided if I wanna sell it yet.
Do you run the 25 trophy above the pad Chad? i was always told not to. i use mine quite a bit and would run it higher if I didn't have so many tell me not to? i love mine also for what its worth. I mean that for what its worth. old stand by. I could never sell it because its so beat up but runs amazingly well for a 100 prop.:beer:

local103racing

I am a little nervous about running my trophy above that pad what are you spinning it to and how high are you running it up I am thinking about setting mine so my max hight would be a inch above with the hyd jack plate I can always lower it if my water temp looks low and if I want speed just put the 28 chopper on she should move out pretty good with the trophy I would think

chad202

Yes I do run it above the pad. On my 02 I run it 1/2"-3/4" above the pad. I have .030 lip on my pad. In my opinion the 25 trophy is the best trophy out the merc stable of props and they have not been prone to breaking. I've run them on several of my boats with zero issues.

chad202

Setting the jack plate up to max out at a safe height is a very good idea. I really don't know what Rpms I turn it. To many other gauges to look at. Lol