'96 XB2003/225 ProMax Regulator/Rectifier

JGray

Been a while since I've posted, but just ran into a problem and am seeking information/opinions. Motor died while running recently and wouldn't re-start with symptoms pointing to a dead battery. Battery should have stayed charged while running so initial assumption was charging system problems. Charged up battery the next day and it tested good. Just had the charging system checked at the local shop (not an Allison or Mercury dealer, but I have confidence in them) and was told there is current flowing in but not out of the voltage regulators and they needed to be replaced. I just replaced the regulators last year when I fried the trim circuit so was a bit shocked.

I did have the batteries out of the boat recently and inadvertantly flipped the battery around so hooked up the cables backwards and got a good spark (didn't look at the posts). After a bit of research today, I understand that can pop the rectifier. When I talked to the mechanic about this he said the rectifier is built in to the regulator, so the whole assembly needs to be replaced. I thought the rectifier was a separate part from the regulator but was told some model year motors are separate and others are combined. I guess I'm in a state of denial right now as I'm looking at another $400 and will have about $800 into regulators over the past year. Initially I was hoping it wasn't going to be the stator, but now wish it was!

Anyway, I'm not really questioning the diagnosis but since this shop is not familiar with Mercs, I thought I would bounce this off you guys and see if this sounds right.

Thanks for any input!

J

John Richied

Another option is to find someone who just changed their ProMax over from a 40-amp system to a 16-amp 260 system.
A lot of guys do it and if you can find someone who has done this they usually sell their parts cheap

pickwickangler

How much you payin for regulators? I think I paid like $89 a piece for mine but its been about a year.

JGray

Holy smokes--I paid $160 a piece last year through this same shop, so assume they will be the same or a little more this year. I assume they are getting them from Mercury direct. They did say it would be about $400 for the diagnosis and parts/labor. Do you recall where you bought yours, and/or can you recommend an on-line source with better prices?