97 xb2003/fresh 225 promax

xb03

I could get 4.5mpg out of my promax, now I get 3-3.5 from the 280, if I keep my foot out of it lol. Promax are simple reliable motors, that are easy to work on. Keep us posted if you go 4 stroke.

CREYN

I think a lot of it is the 28 Chopper coming out of the hole. Pretty sure that is where the fuel is going. Once on plane and just chillin at around 50 mph, it seems like it should be getting pretty good fuel mileage. What prop are you guys running for best ALL AROUND performance?

BigRWater

I was looking at the boat you bought. I wanted it. Though I was wanting an XB 21, the boat you bought just seemed like so much boat and motor for such great money. I like your motor...

I also just purchased an XB 2003 with a very similar motor also. Like yours, I think it mine a great boat, great price, extreme value. Safeco Insurance mentioned that they might have a problem with it.

If you wait a bit before you decide to change motors out, I think your motor is the kind of motor I would like to run.
If we put something together, maybe we can do it around the time of the Dallas guitar show.
Anyway congratulations! What a great boat!

skewby

CRYEN you bought a great boat. in my opinion the easiest driving allison i've ever driven. that boat loved my 27 and 29 srxworked by billy eaves. my motor would pull both to 7200 pretty quick. my cruising prop was a worked 30 performer aslo by billy. best prop that i ever ran was a friends 28 performer built by billy eaves.

CREYN

I was looking at the boat you bought. I wanted it. Though I was wanting an XB 21, the boat you bought just seemed like so much boat and motor for such great money. I like your motor...

I also just purchased an XB 2003 with a very similar motor also. Like yours, I think it mine a great boat, great price, extreme value. Safeco Insurance mentioned that they might have a problem with it.

If you wait a bit before you decide to change motors out, I think your motor is the kind of motor I would like to run.
If we put something together, maybe we can do it around the time of the Dallas guitar show.
Anyway congratulations! What a great boat!
Thanks! It was a helluva haul! Atleast Mick did meet me half way in Chattanooga, TN. I am prolly not the typical Allison boat fanatic. Yes I wanna go fast, but 99-100 is not anywhere in my bucket list! Been there, owned it, done it in my Liberator. I want mid 80s, warranty, peace of mind, and just crank and drive! I also wanted a Prosport, but ZERO on the used market. I live to just ride and cruise and wanna be able to do so with no worries and getting the mpg of a 4 stroke. Would love to find a 200XS ROS, but not gonna pay those ridiculous prices!! But yes, hit me up and we will talk! Idk when the Dalls Guitar show is, but that’s not that far from me.

dubmoney

May 18th Mercury is announcing a new 4-stroke line. You may already be able to order the new 225 4 cylinder 4 stroke. It reportedly weights 460 lbs, which is lighter than the current 3.0 liter. I hear ya on the warranty and piece of mind issue. I am about ready to move that way my self.

NOTGSXR

Mick was supposed to bring it up to Candlewood lake but nooooooo he sold it lol

Good luck with it!

CREYN

May 18th Mercury is announcing a new 4-stroke line. You may already be able to order the new 225 4 cylinder 4 stroke. It reportedly weights 460 lbs, which is lighter than the current 3.0 liter. I hear ya on the warranty and piece of mind issue. I am about ready to move that way my self.
If Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha can get an in-line 4cyl 1000cc engine to produce 250hp @ on these racing crotch rockets, why can’t they use they same technology for the marine division??? Those bikes turn waaaay more RPMs than we do, and for longer durations! I would love to have a 225hp 4cyl 4 stroke that weighed 400lbs and turns 8k rpm!!!

Mick

Man this thread went nuts!! Glad Skewby chimed in, and I agree the boat is fantastic. As far as motor choice I feel it’s personal preference. I can’t remember what size the tank is and every time I thought it was empty there was always 5 or more gallons hidden down there. I will say this, I had no intentions on selling that boat anytime soon although eventuality I knew I wanted a 21, and one day I will. I spent a lot of time and $$ making that motor Bullet proof, so if you decide to run it, you should have a flawless 200 hours or more out of it depending on your habits. Don’t forget to let a few ounces run out of the L U when u change it as that was re done as well, :)

I ran one of Billy’s props last summer at the rally think it was a 28 or 30 performer and it was awesome just didn’t have scratch to bring it home. If you can get a hold of him, he is magical with any prop. My favorite for boogieing with a T load and doing it quickly as well as handling is the pro et I got. I came around the point on candlewood last year with 2 min left to weigh in at 79 and it was almost a 90 degree turn and that boat didn’t miss a beat, that prop for me handles it all quick to plane and pulls til the rev limiter, I think a 28 would produce bigger top ends, regardless I loved getting to 75 in a hurry and blowing past boat 1! No better feeling.
Gonna miss y’all at the rally this year, but I’ll be back no doubt!!