98 xb2003 with 2005 2.5 xs

xb03fs

Your 2+2 depending on motor will likely end up faster and quicker than your xb2003

Dave Hensley

The 2.5XS would operate better at altitude. More sophisticated PCM. At sea level a 225 ProMax or 225X would drag its butt out of the hole or top end. The 225X dyno'd in the high 240 hp range. 225 ProMax probably in the same range. 2.5X is a 200XS powerhead.

Lotus 50

Interesting. I thought the 2.5XS was stronger than the 200XS. Same powerhead, more weight, no wonder it was dropped. Still a cool engine. Just not as cool as mine.

Dave Hensley

Interesting. I thought the 2.5XS was stronger than the 200XS. Same powerhead, more weight, no wonder it was dropped. Still a cool engine. Just not as cool as mine.
200XS ROS dyno'd in the 235hp range. 200XS wasn't quite that strong but still a nice piece. I was never sure what Merc was doing when they put it on the 3.0 liter mid. Surprisingly a 3 liter Sportmaster is lighter than a 2.5 Sportmaster. Go figure???

RiverRat71

The 2.5XS on my GS runs pretty good. Mr. Dave is right about it lacking on the bottom but it does pull hard from right off bottom to top. It has enough power to push me, 3 passengers, & a bunch of crap to 80 so I am sure with a light load & some more prop it would run 90's. RR

Last edited:

stormy

Really? I've only seen one 2.5XS on the back of a 2nd gen Vegas. It ran pretty good. Suspect I'll see more of this one as he hangs out on the Mississippi. The family has a Hydrostream Hooker (bass boat)--not many of those.
I’m sure you will see the XB as well as the Hooker out on the river. I need to get someone to teach me how to drive it when it warms up. Only had it out a couple times and it was dog out of the hole, thinking a skid planner and foil would help for fishing/ family cruises.

stormy

I'll try to find someone who knows how to drive an Allison. Hopefully the hooker got dialed in. If you want to learn to do a bat turn--I'm the guy.

Is a 2.5XS a fat shaft? Otherwise, I have lots-o-props we can test.
Not sure if it is a fat shaft, haven’t had the prop off yet. I am more interested in learning how not to do a bat turn!

motobuffy

I’m sure you will see the XB as well as the Hooker out on the river. I need to get someone to teach me how to drive it when it warms up. Only had it out a couple times and it was dog out of the hole, thinking a skid planner and foil would help for fishing/ family cruises.
Joel, I can't remember if the boat had wedges on it when you bought it. If not, that would help with the hole shot. I never tried an over the hub prop on your boat, but one sure made a big difference on my old Stratos. You need to create more ventillation to allow the revs to build quickly. The Trophy that went with the boat had a very small vent hole. Skid planer, others should chime in. When your 2.5XS was on my old XTB21, the addition of a skid planer didn't help much.

stormy

Joel, I can't remember if the boat had wedges on it when you bought it. If not, that would help with the hole shot. I never tried an over the hub prop on your boat, but one sure made a big difference on my old Stratos. You need to create more ventillation to allow the revs to build quickly. The Trophy that went with the boat had a very small vent hole. Skid planer, others should chime in. When your 2.5XS was on my old XTB21, the addition of a skid planer didn't help much.
I don’t think it has wedges, but that motor is buried pretty deep anyway. Sure I will have several props available to test out including exhaust over, that is definitely a good idea. Have been doing some small things on the Allison,replaced locker moldings, tied up some wiring, wired for ability to start in gear, and now working on updating seats. Didn’t get much time in it, fall is my hunting time. Looking forward to the upcoming boating season. Good to hear from you Frank, hope all is well with your family.

xb03fs

I don’t see that.
300xs Xb21 vs xb2003 2.5 xs? For sure Xb21 will win topend... that’s a 100 mph combination. Don’t see 2.5xs being a 100 mph combination on a 2003... maybe I’m wrong...

my Xb21 250 set up for topend is 95+, 97 down river. 90 setup to be quickies, 93 downriver..

gmorgan

M
300xs Xb21 vs xb2003 2.5 xs? For sure Xb21 will win topend... that’s a 100 mph combination. Don’t see 2.5xs being a 100 mph combination on a 2003... maybe I’m wrong...

my Xb21 250 set up for topend is 95+, 97 down river. 90 setup to be quickies, 93 downriver..
my stock 2.5 225 Super Magnum with raised limiter turned 7200 rpms with a 30 pitch big blade chopper in cool weather, ready to fish and 20 gallons of gas. On that day the GPS read 98 mph. Sounds like the two rigs are pretty well capable of the same performance to me.

xb03fs

M

my stock 2.5 225 Super Magnum with raised limiter turned 7200 rpms with a 30 pitch big blade chopper in cool weather, ready to fish and 20 gallons of gas. On that day the GPS read 98 mph. Sounds like the two rigs are pretty well capable of the same performance to me.
2.5 xs is not as strong as your 225 promax, my 250 is not as strong as his new 300....

That’s why I said the Xb21 will be faster. Not by a lot but 5 mph or more.