998c interference

tomoad

put one on the bow, transducer on the trolling motor.when i hit the pedal lines come upon the screen. what can be done to remedy this?

tomoad

i have a 24v trolling motor. i came off one of the batteries to the unit, and yes power leads from battery to the unit

SLOmofo

The ground of the trolling motor and the unit have to have the same or common ground. Moving the transducer away from the motor like with a skimmer mount can help. It's the pulse modulation that gives infinite speeds that produces the lines.

90 5.0

Humming bird makes a interference thingy to go on the power wife to straighten it out.

The birds are more finicy with interference than others.

tomoad

well i tried the old ground wire from the trolling motor to the unit ground trick & It didn't work, next im going to try the ground from the unit to the ground on the trolling plug. if that doesn't work guess i will try the interference thingy they got for 60 bucks.

white03

i got that interferance thingy...:)...its called a TMC 1...when it gets warm enough I'll put it on and let you know if it works because I have the same problem on my bow mounted 997c SI

Allyfishing

Trust me, that TMC-1 made by Humminbird really works. Its a bit bulky so ya have to find a place up front to mount it but it got rid of my interference on my Lowrance units.

i always run a fresh set of wires from the cranking battery, fused, to a blade style fuse holder for all my electronics etc. I still had vertical lines on 2d sonar and solid "columns" on side scan and downscan.

It is an RF choke designed to be installed in between the plug and the foot pedal on the power wires.

white03

Actually I called H'bird and they said to install in between the foot and the motor. Having said that I've seen pics on BBC of installations between the plug and the foot. Not sure which I'll do. One thing that bothers me about putting it between the plug and the foot is the different gauge wires: the wires coming to the foot from the plug are significantly larger than the wires that come with the choke, but the choke wires are same gauge as the wires between the foot and the motor.

Allyfishing

Actually I called H'bird and they said to install in between the foot and the motor.
Wait a minute...that means you would have to cut thru the sheathing that holds the powers wires AND the steering cables from the foot pedal to the motor head???

Think about it, every time you deploy and stow the motor those cable spices are constantly moving. If you cut the wires in between the foot pedal and the plug (like the directions say that come with it) and splice it in there and then mount the choke in that area the wires will be secured unless your foot pedal is not secured to the deck.

I installed mine on my last boat and the wires on the choke AND the wires on my MG from the pedal to the plug were 10 ga. That's more than sufficient gauge wire for that application. Just make sure you use a very good crimping tool to connect your wires and cover with shrink tubing

just my 2 cents