advice for update

woodsman

looking to update the old throttle control to something newer. But I am at a loss, have no idea what to replace with, or what will work. Oh yeah it will be going in a xtb21 if that matter's.. So any advice is much appriciated, thanks...... Adam

woodsman

Got the hot foot. Guess I should have stated looking to update the gear shifter. Just dont know what a really nice one would be.

F2008

Foot throttle and a gear shifter.
Agree in both instances. .....that, and trim on wheel. Simple forward, reverse is all you'll need with a hidden NSS bypass switch so you can start it in gear. You're never going to use the trim on the shifter anyway. Got mine from Rex Marine 6 years ago, still works like new.

Covered the old shifter hole with an aftermarket switch panel that controls an in dash water temp gauge and both the bow and drivers GPS / depth finders.

woodsman

Man that is a very neat looking cockpit. Love the color scheme! Got trim on the wheel already like you was saying so something you have would be awesome. I will look into rex myself. I have looked at the newer mercury series shifters, I was just wondering if the hook ups would be the same or is these older shifters harder to update I guess is one question I have. I dont consider myself no restoration expert by no means. So I come to you all, who have been through it.

F2008

Shifter cable I used was a simple Teleflex 33c red supreme cable and a cable end adapter kit. The adapter kits are specific to Merc or OMC ....etc. The end of the shifter cable is threaded so you just thread on the correct cable end you need to match your motors shifter block.

What's nice about using the universal cable and kit is, if you blow up your OMC motor and replace it with a Merc.....like I did, you just have to buy a new cable end, not the whole cable.

There may be a cheaper outlet but I got all my stuff from Rex. The shifter, cable, kit, mounting bracket. Nice people to deal with and reasonable cost.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ByProduct

F2008

Wish I had the links for you but I don't, just search around on here. There are some posts with some pics of some other guys boats who have done the same type thing as you're looking to do. There were a couple that I thought were impressively neat and clean. No shortage of ingenuity around here.

woodsman

You mean like enough travel to completely shift into a directional gear?
Because I always shift mine all the way just for safety purpose of completing the shift all the way. It would be a bad day to have it wound out and slip out of gear even just a little, this was always my caution.

woodsman

ROBERT CROSS

looking to update the old throttle control to something newer. But I am at a loss, have no idea what to replace with, or what will work. Oh yeah it will be going in a xtb21 if that matter's.. So any advice is much appriciated, thanks...... Adam
FWIW.....I used the trim buttons on the shifter as the start in gear switch. Can still start in neutral with key, to satisfy inquiring minds. :wink

Bob
:at the bar

woodsman

That's a good idea Robert! I will keep that in mind as I research which one of these different shifters I like.

SLOmofo

You mean like enough travel to completely shift into a directional gear?
Yes, being almost to much for the detent to catch.

How I did my in gear bypass. Attach a wire to both sides of the Neutral Safety Switch. Run those wires to a momentary switch (mines under the dash). This way the NSS works normally. To start in gear you have to both hold the button down and turn the key.
Helps keep the kids playing boat in the drive way and your brother in law from doing damage to someone.

woodsman

Lol, do you know my brother in law!!!
He decided he wanted to look at my fear no evil compound bow last hunting season and I turned for a second and he dry fired it killing the string a cam and my heart! So either you know him or you have one similar!
But that sounds pretty simple to set up to obtain the ability to save a lower over time.

whipper

Woodsman F2008,s upgrades look sweet. Its amazing how you can dress things up these days with a little imagination. BTW F2008 LOVE the steering wheel and pencil holder.:beer:

SLOmofo

Lol, do you know my brother in law!!!
He decided he wanted to look at my fear no evil compound bow last hunting season and I turned for a second and he dry fired it killing the string a cam and my heart! So either you know him or you have one similar!
But that sounds pretty simple to set up to obtain the ability to save a lower over time.
Mine likes to argue trying to get my goat. I just leave. You win see ya! He knows my boat is dangerous.