Advice Needed on Folding Top for XB2002

CarolinaBurt

Fellas, I need some advice/input on which top is the best suited for my Allison XB2002.

I had surgery some 9 years ago for melanoma cancer and I do not allow myself to get sunburned and really have to watch my exposure to the sun. Fishing trips for me are daylight to 9-10 AM latest and no outdoor activities during the day. While it's changed my life, it's one that with regular visits and common sense, can be lived with. I've taken up scuba diving and restoring/riding motorcycles - all of which can be done with wetsuits, leathers, and the comfort of my shop.

We've got a large pontoon boat that stays moored at our local marina and it offers shade, but there are times that I'd like to be out on the lake cruising and playing with my side-imaging sonar. If I had a well-designed top that I could put-up and down, my "Allison time" could be extended. Of course, for those runs blasting down the lake - the entire assembly would be removed. This would be for the 0~55 mph mode.

Thanks,
Gordon

fishnfireman

Hey Gordon,

Good to hear from you,

I have had some issues after a lifetime of fishing and working outdoors. A few trips to the skin Dr. Will get your attention.

I have also gotten to where the realy Hot days just KILL me.. On reason I do most of my fishing from Sept. thru May. and leave the hot months to the jet skiers.
Anyway a few years back I had a tournament in July that i needed to fish to get qualified for a championship.. After some whineing and a litle brain-storming..I went to walmart and bought one of those backyard umbarelas..southern enginered it to fit in the pedastal holes.. as I spend 95% of my time fishing. The first one I bought was about a six footer. after a few trips it soon became appearent that I needed a bigger one because it seems my partner.. likes the shade also..It is amazing how much difference a little shade makes on a real hot day.
Get one that is easy to open....when changing spots- if it's a short run I just pull the canopy down..If it's a long run..i will pull the whole thing and strap it down with my rods.

Looks funny But works.......

RedAllison

Hey Gordo I'm sure you saw the pic on the homepage of that custom bimini on our beloved George Larson's XB03 (RIP Gdaddy!) he had a custom shop in FL build that and REGULARLY ran over 80gps with the top up!

I'd take the time and spend the money on a custom unit that could be double/triple stitched with heavier than normal canvas and supports and running well over 55 with the top up would be NO problem. On the cheap I'd think you could cut down the main rods on a stock bimini top (assuming you did some measuring and bought the correct one to begin with that would fit the 02 side too side properly) and it would work for 55 or so without tearing up in a season or two.

:at the bar
RA

CarolinaBurt

Thanks guys. Yes, I really want a folding top. One that I can move around under and still have the shade for me and the Humminbird.

Jim, I do remember one of the members here having a teal-green 2003 with a top. He had attended one of the rallies and I was shocked at the speeds he did. I don't need to go anywhere near 80 - specially with a sail connected to the boat in 6 places. I dropped out of circulation for some years, is there a link to his passing? I was shocked to learn about Buddy and his wife Cat.

Getting old sux.

Gordon

RedAllison

Gordon there was a post on George's passing with many condolences but a hurricane knocked out the server and power for a week or more in LA and we lost some stuff. I think that post was one of them. G came too the 2nd rally and that 80mph Bimini was the talk of the rally! :very happy

I think the teal/white 03 with a top you might remember is RHenry's with a Subrella on it. I didn't remember him running with it but it's been awhile since he made a rally. (Umphuh hint hint hint Richard!)

Yeah Dawg and Cat were SPECIAL FOLK for sure. That dreaded C word took them both from us and rather quickly. They made the first couple of rallies and were great folks to be around. :beer:

Special folks and special times,
RA

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
If you want to use it underway, the bimini is the way to go. Probably a 3-bow for a xb02. They're good to 80mph, no kidding. I wouldn't cruise like that very often but you can if needed. Good as gold around 30-45 mph. Overton's etc. (actually made in AZ)

Had one on a xb03, xb02, gs, ss, gs. Never tried one on a 2001!
That would be the daddy. Make sure you get the boot. Sometimes they offer it free.

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Usually, the longer the bimini the more the bows. A cheapie for a jon boat would be a 2 bow, one hoop (bow) at each end--four footer. A three bow would have the rear hoop split (creating 2 hoops) about a foot or two below the canvas/sunbrella--five footer. The four bow splits in the front and back. I had a four bow on a Hydrostream Voyager, about an 8 footer. The boot is a zipped sock to store the bimini in when not in use. It works slick in keeping the bimini clean and out-of-the-way after the sun gets low. The boot is a must if you trailer distances and must keep the top attached (folded down). Again, they're sometimes free as an incentive. The white xb03 at the top of the home page is a 4 bow.

I'm about 99% sure mine came from Overton's. I'm sure Cabela's and other's carry them. My Allison is buried in the shed because the water gets unusually hard this time of year. I'll check the manufacturer tonight. It was definately in AZ, --Havasu, I think.

IMO the vinyl ones are cheesey although somewhat cheeper. Sunbrella is the deal.

There is a main center shaft that has two 1/4 inch bolts on the bottom to hold the whole thing up. You can mount the bolt/hardware on the boat's top deck (horizontal surface) or use a different style and mount sideways--inside the cockpit on a vertical surface. There are four straps, one on each corner running about 45 degress fore and aft. They attach with hooks to small metal eyes.

Last edited:

fishnfireman

I was looking at the one on the home page.

Not trying to be a smart azz......But how do you fish with that style of a cover. Does it go far enough forward or tall enough to give any shade while fishing ?

V6MERC

I have a 3 bow I use for my XB21, but it's positioned over the cockpit, not the decks... I also don't run with mine up at all...

Here's a pic of mine up...

And one of it down...

CarolinaBurt

Thanks for the inputs - I am going to buy and install the 3 bow. I want mine over the cockpit - perfect for keeping the sun off of me and the sideimaging.

Regards,
Gordon

V6MERC

Lookin good------

Especialy that one on the back deck....that's one fine looking fisherman holding up that life vest !!!!!!!!!
Makes me start grinnin all over to see them younguns.
Thanks, Bro.!!! That picture has helped sell one Allison for sure that I know of.... :cool

sidvishus

I wonder how fast you could run with a rigid design like this... I checked with the boat manufacturer (their in Australia and so is the vendor who builds the bimini...), I just don't know where to get them local (US)...