Allison 18 predecessor to GT20

Marjae

Does anyone remember or have pics of the 18gt. I bought mine from Benny Robertson in Charleston with a 175 Black Max. Was running 80 stock. Later upped motor to 200 with bobs cone lower unit and got to 90 down at Miami Marine stadium in the late 70s. I think the boat was a 77 or 78

RedAllison

I have a '76 18R that was a 300ish# racer. Originally it had twins on the back for roundy rounds. Looks just like what it is a "little brother" of the 20 and a "big brother" of the 13-16s.

Mine would have to be completely rebuilt before it could be used. I rescued it from a fate of going to a landfill in Utah in 2003. Just been sitting inside ever since. Sooner or later I'll have it restored. What I like about it is it's big enough to safely hold a decent tank, 2 people, a V-6 and still run pretty serious speeds without being "over taxed" like the smaller boats would be. Could probably just as easily restore it with a GT20 like interior, hang a 115 or 150 on it and have a 4 passenger lake boat that would be pretty neat. (I'm kinda thinkin about a "tower of power", 2 seater and letting my boys play with it when they get a lil older! Guess I better get choppin on resto plans.)

Best I can tell the 18s were quite rare, just don't see or hear much about them.
RA

Marjae

That's just like my boat! Rigged by Stevie Robertson w/ the original 175xs. had blow out problems with the foot, but still ran 85-88 w/ no plate and ski prop.

Mine was blue/white

Marjae

sorry, ski prop, i changed props for skiing. we dropped the wrench and had to dive in the pluff mudd (thank you lindy) (charleston)(we would run all the way up the cooper/wando to the bridge/change props/ski, then back.