Allison Skid Planer Question

msagro

OK I need some opinions, I have a XB2003 with a 260. It had a 9" jackplate on it and I just put a 14" on it. Is the Allison Skid planer worth the money. I have just had the boat out one weekend with the new jackplate and I am glad that I made the change, handles better and runs better the biggest issue is it wanting to dunk the motor coming off of plane. It did this before but is worse now. Was thinking about puting a flat piece of aluminum on the bottom of the jackplate but was wander if I would be money ahead to just buy the allison one. If so will it work without a lot of modification on a Hydro Dynamics jack plate. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

halveb

Don't personally have one (in fact I haven't even driven my GS2003 yet) but I have read that they are helpful for backwash coming over the transom when coming off plane. I have also read that they will add to your coasting while coming off plane (in other words slow down a little earlier cause the boat won't). :laughing

They also help keep the boat on plane at slower speeds if you need to for skiing or tubing.

deadeye99

I put one on last month and I don't see any downside. It planes without trimming the motor in and comes off plane very flat. Well worth the money. I don't have a hydrodyn plate so I can't comment on that. Bob

nickens21

They work great, but modification is a pain in the arse!! To make them fit to specs of coarse!! I jst installed one on my xtb with a 10 cmc jack plate!! I had to trim the brackets and the planer to make it fit right!!

MGEOD

Any secrets to installing one of these , picked up one for my 2003 . Can't wait to get it on and see the results. thanks Mike

nickens21

Block planer up or have someone else hold it to where it needs to be according to allison specs!! U will probably notice that u will have to trim bracket and plate for it to fit to specs!! If u do not have an allison jck plate you will have to drill holes in your existing one!! I advise to use c-clamps to hold brackes in place so you can get your height rite!! I would NOT drill any holes in the bracket or jck plate until you have it modified to fit rite!! Once everything is trimmed and the measurements are rite then drill da holes!! I had to cut some lenght off of my drill bits to get the rite angle when drilling the jck plate!! I used a small grinder with cutting blades to do the trim work and then a sanding or tiger disc to touch up the cuts and round off the edges!! Hope this helps a little!! Good Luck!! Better holeshot and no backwash, u can let off the gas completly when shutting dwn!! Not a drop of water comes up on the bck wings or dumps over the motor!! :wink