Allison vrs Stroker

Bob Ant

I friend of mine who has a 2003 is thinking about getting a Stroker. He loves the Allison but is getting older and getting up from behind the seat multiple times a day fishing is getting harder and harder. I agree with him. He said everything being equal a Stroker is 5 miles per hour faster a than an Allison. Stroker has a nice layout for fishing, pleanty of storage.

I'm having trouble with that given that a Stroker is heavier and looks wider. We 're not talking about out of the hole starts but top end speeds.

There is no Strokers around here that I know of so I don't know. Never ran up against one with same stock motor.

What's the scope on Strokers?

Darth VMAX

My .0002 worth

IMO a Stroker is capable (and have produced) of much higher top-end numbers than an XB2003.
BUT.....
It takes a LOT of horsepower to do it (ie. heavily modified big block Yamaha or Mercs). The Strokers can easily handle the weight of these 3.0L through 4.2L V6's where the XB2003 would takes some finnessing to do. Stock Strokers have run high teens I believe (with 370 hp on them). Not sure of a XB2003 busting 110?

It would really depend on what hp you are talking about. A 280 on a XB2003 would take a Stroker 300+ hp to match it. The problem with the Stroker vs an Allison is...compared to the Allison, the Stroker looks like it fell out of an "Ugly Tree" and hit every branch on its way down! LOL

;-)

Last edited:

xb03fs

A stroker would have to be compared to a XB21 Basssport Pro not a Xb2003. Question is it seems, there are 3 or 4 guys really pushing the envelop of what a Stroker can do and the guys that have the XB21 arn't really pushing them. The guys pushing the Allisons hard are still running xb2002s or other boats.

Question is 300 HP will make most Strokers go 100, with 300 HP make a bassport go 100? Has anyone tried?

370 HP hydroteched motors with modified lower seem to be the preferred powerplant for stroker to go deep in to triples? Has anyone had one of these monsters on an Allison 21 footer??

Darth VMAX

A stroker would have to be compared to a XB21 Basssport Pro not a Xb2003. Question is it seems, there are 3 or 4 guys really pushing the envelop of what a Stroker can do and the guys that have the XB21 arn't really pushing them. The guys pushing the Allisons hard are still running xb2002s or other boats.

Question is 300 HP will make most Strokers go 100, with 300 HP make a bassport go 100? Has anyone tried?

370 HP hydroteched motors with modified lower seem to be the preferred powerplant for stroker to go deep in to triples? Has anyone had one of these monsters on an Allison 21 footer??
I general comparisons I agree. But in THIS case. The individual has an XB2003 and is considering a Stroker, so the comparison is relevant.

To answer your Q?. Someone a few years ago ran 104 (or 106) in a XB21 Prosport (empty) with a 300x. Thats the fastest speed I have heard ANY XB21 ever going. C&O tnkered with a Phase II or III 3.3L Yammie on a BasSport PRO. I thought it still had the Yammie L/U and not a SM and it ran 96. They didn't jack with it too long becasue I think the motor was going on a Stratos. That being said my memory failed me last time reguarding some of the tests Todd Morgan did so please don't quote me on that (you could do a seach on BBC and maybe find it).

Darth VMAX

He said everything being equal a Stroker is 5 miles per hour faster a than an Allison.
I missed this part of your question. I say NO WAY!
Put equal HP on each and the XB2003 will smoke it...

For instance, a 225x on a XB2003 is a 97 mph rig (using some of the higher end numbers posted by owners). That would mean the Stroker would be running 102 with the 225x or 225 proxs or whatever 225 of choice....ain't gonna happen!

GotMyAlly

HP for HP, the Allison wins I think...if you're comparing to a 2003. 370HP on the stroker and a 280 on the Allison........I would hope the stroker wins, he's got 90 more HP - he's supposed to win.

There's a couple strokers out there that pushing big numbers but ARE NOT stock boats.

Kurts yellow/blue boat was (I stress WAS) light and had a non-production pad.

There's another one out there now (carbon fiber i believe) who will not disclose how much his boat weighs because "Chub told him not to".

Those two samples should be thrown out of the mix. Great running boats, but not representative of a production hull.

I also wouldn't put a lot of faith in C and O's numbers. They carried Allison for what, 3 years. And that amounted to 1 shipment of boats I believe. I don't think anyone there had the seat time to set up an Allison to get the most out of it.

I don't know of anybody that has ran 370 HP on a 2003. I know several have put 250s on them and easily broke 100. Best numbers i've heard of on a stock stroker with a 250 was 101, but most aren't able to reproduce that number.

I will say this.......the Allison will be skint back and way on down the lake while the stroker is still diggin' a hole in the water. Stroker better be SEVERAL mph faster if he's gonna run the Allison down.

As was said above, not many people pushing the XB21. Most people running XB21s are running 'em loaded for fishin. I don't know of any XB21s with seriously modded motors either. That's just not your typical XB21 buyer. I've got a lot of setup work to do on mine but I'll wring it out for all it's worth with the 250 this summer but from my initial testing I think I'll end up in the 95-97 range.

That being said....if I couldn't have an Allison, Stroker would be my 2nd choice above everything else on the market. They put up some good numbers, but the ones set up to do so are VERY long-legged.

GotMyAlly

I missed this part of your question. I say NO WAY!
Put equal HP on each and the XB2003 will smoke it...

For instance, a 225x on a XB2003 is a 97 mph rig (using some of the higher end numbers posted by owners). That would mean the Stroker would be running 102 with the 225x or 225 proxs or whatever 225 of choice....ain't gonna happen!
I think the stroker would be hard pressed to break 90 with a 225X.

Darth VMAX

Neal your right, great point
I forgot Kurts boat was a one-off model. The white Center Console Stroker for sure isn't representitive of what a Stroker can do. That would be like saying the Alli-shot represents what an XB2003 can do... LMAO!!!

Stroker owner push thier rigs because thats all they got. Allison owners buy an XB21 to fish out of. If someone wants a world record holder, they get a XB2002 and be done with it ;-)

rmills280

i'll be able to answer this sometime shortly, theres a young boy on watts bar with a stroker wantingto run me, he has a 300xs on his stroker. started out wanting to race half mile untill he found out that i would be at the half b4 he got on plane so he wants to go 2 miles now so i say he will still have to be alot faster to catch me. i offered to go with my 03/280 or ss/260 either way i dont see it happening.

GotMyAlly

The guy with the black stroker with the 370HP yamaha posted a video shot from his boat as he passed me on Pickwick a few years ago. What he didn't tell everybody is that we took off from JP Coleman and ran to the dam (about 20 miles). We were about 1/2 way to the dam when he passed me. And that was just a 225X on an 03.

SLOmofo

Being an older gentleman he should also consider the ride. For getting up and down he could make a helper pole like I did. Seems to me I've read that an XB2003 rides better than most in most conditions.
When/if I get mine back togeather I might get some sucker at the WAR11 see what it will do. :wink

Unimog

Here's my totally worthless opinion:

Strokers are fast and have I believe a more forgiving hull design. Those are the only two pros I've seen about a stroker. If that's all you're looking for, buy a stroker. Looks and overall quality would be secondary.

If you want IMHO the most quality made bass boat there is to be had, get an allison.

john4utvols

The guy with the black stroker with the 370HP yamaha posted a video shot from his boat as he passed me on Pickwick a few years ago. What he didn't tell everybody is that we took off from JP Coleman and ran to the dam (about 20 miles). We were about 1/2 way to the dam when he passed me. And that was just a 225X on an 03.
Watched that video last night, He even slowed it down to point you out...Kinda pissed me off...I think your giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying half way, it was more like 3/4 of the way.

whipper

Stroker is a 21ft 94 inch beam 1200lb boat! Comparing it to a XB 2003 is apples to oranges. Theres no way in the world hp to hp it can beat a xb2003.

john4utvols

I friend of mine who has a 2003 is thinking about getting a Stroker. He loves the Allison but is getting older and getting up from behind the seat multiple times a day fishing is getting harder and harder. I agree with him. He said everything being equal a Stroker is 5 miles per hour faster a than an Allison.
Bob you need to come back to a rally, you have been away from A-boat rallies to long and somebody or the fastbass site has brain washed you.
Not mentioning no names but somebody here did have a Yamaha with the mods on back of a 2003 and it did run 110. I ran a 2003 with a stock con box 280 and a 28 pitch prop with 1.87 gears 101 several times, never tried to go any faster, I'm sure it would but it wasn't my boat. I don't think a stroker would run 106 with the same set-up.

Darth VMAX

ROTFLOL.... where is this video?

Thats funny. It goes with being the King of the Mountain (Allison). There is a big BULLSEYE on EVERY Allison out there. It must have made him feel special to outrun someone running 145 less hp.

Has anyone seen the video of the Jackwagon in the 25' Cougar Cat with twin 300x or 280's (can't remember which) chasing down and passing the B.A.S.S. boats during the launch of a tournament? He was laughing and pounding his chest for outrunning 250hp Ranger, Tritons etc.

xb03fs

It's a big boat, but not to big; while the lit-
erature lists it's length at 21 feet, it's actually
shorter than 20 feet when measured transom-
to-nose at the center line (the 21 feet takes the
rear wing protrusion into account).

Hull weight is listed at 1200 pounds; we
checked it in at 3380 pounds on it's dual-axle
Boat Mate custom trailer.

Saw this on the stoker site, maybe they are apples to apples Xb2003 size??

Darth VMAX

It is for sure wider, but they are longer as well. Pretty sure the XB2003 comes in at 19' transom to nose (Allison measured the same way as Stroker) That may not be the case for the XB21's though

h2oskiier30

He said everything being equal a Stroker is 5 miles per hour faster a than an Allison.
Put a stock 150 on the back of both (all things being equal, you know), and let's see which one is the fastest. Hell, put a stock ANYTHING on the back of both, and let's check the tale of the tape.