Allison XB-2002 - everything about

aeneas

I am slowly finding my way back to fishing and have started tossing with the idea of buying an Allison XB-2002 but I do not know very much about the model or even if it is for me? I understand it is related to the XR-2002, same hull? When was the non-rot transom implemented? What different models were there? Different layouts? Different layups? There are a couple of consoles, If I want the narrow center steer console (see pic) - what are those called (except the limited edition one on the Allison website)? If I want a good boat that just need rigging - how much would I have fork up?

I would like a nimble boat that I can take to small waters as well as bigger fully rigged with all electronics, trollers etc (I can have that installed over here) and that would give me the same thrills as my SS-2000. Would a Merc 200xs 15" be too heavy for the boat? Is the XB-2002 even for me?

XB-2002-Deck-557x1024.jpg
Picture courtesy of Allison Boats.

22R

I always thought that the XR and XB 2002 was the same hull but they are not. Composite transoms around 1988-89 I think best to get hull number and call Bill at Allison to verify if you locate one you like. Their was the Tournament, (900-925#) Comp( lighter) and Bass Racer( even lighter ) maybe someone could chime in as mine is a Tournament. Narrow console is called torpedo or bullet style the newer one similar to the XB21 has the small windshield and is wider. Seems like nice used ones are bout 6 to 12K depending on condition and demand. 200XS(2.5) would be fine on it
Only thing I will say it that while you can fish from a Kayak the XB2002 is more a sports car on water than a fishing machine but it is close as you gonna get to the SS2000 and mount a trolling motor. Best of luck.

22R

gmorgan

22R gave you some great info. I would say that the heavier you and your partner are makes the xb2002 less sensible and the lighter the bost the more accentuated the tilt or roll of the boat becomes when fishing. If your partner stays centered on the back deck, the xb2002 will fish well, but if a 200 + pounder rushes to the gunnel on the back deck, you better not be standing on one leg and the other running the troller. It can put you in the water quickly. If you have a well heeled partner, you’re in for some good times with the Porsche of bass boats.

aeneas

22R and gmorgan, thank you for some great answers! So the XB-2002 has the characteristics of a narrow boat. Great Kayak anecdote by the way! :LMAO:

Jon

Supporting Member
I've only had an XB up to 106 (video of 104 below), and it was fine. I wouldn't want to fish from it if I had the opportunity to go with a 21 instead. It's an old boat and as stable as what we used to think boats should be :)

chad202

I have one and fish from it. It's not y our traditional fishing boat but I like it. Can fish skinny waters and holeshot is very shallow water. I have a 2 hds5s, one in the dash and the other up front. 24v troller is PLENTY. I added a livewlll pump out, fresh air intake, and a adjustable timer so it works great. I have all my tackle in the starboard side locker and 10rods in the port locker. 2 lithium batteries in the starboard wing tip and one in the port wing tip with onboard charger. Life jackets, extra fishing essentials in rear starboard compartment and port one wide open for passengers tackle. It is tipsy but doesn't bother me. I'm pretty nimble. I used to have a XB2003 but actually rather the 02 for fishing.

Last edited:

David Lanham

In regards to the transom.
It's my understating that serial numbers 1-12 have wood. I owned #9 for a few years and went through that ordeal.
Yes, I went soft.

Lotus 50

Are they all 3 seaters? I would want 2 front seats. When I bought my SS2000 I thought bass boats looked dorkier, but now a 4 seat bass boat would be practical.

22R

You can set it up with 4 seats but I don’t recommend it. Up front is tight to get in and out. Mine was set that way when I got it but converted to river racer style for more comfort.

22R

Rick Propst

i was thinking of selling my SS for a xb2002 but just cant bring myself to sell it,, But i was told the xb is easier to drive than the ss and the xb handles rough water alittle better than the ss as well

22R

i was thinking of selling my SS for a xb2002 but just cant bring myself to sell it,, But i was told the xb is easier to drive than the ss and the xb handles rough water alittle better than the ss as well
I have always heard the same but cannot confirm it but Lawdddd dat SS is some sexy !!!

22R

aeneas

I've only had an XB up to 106 (video of 104 below), and it was fine. I wouldn't want to fish from it if I had the opportunity to go with a 21 instead. It's an old boat and as stable as what we used to think boats should be :)
Thank you for posting those clips! That is really flying! :)

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
The XB2002 isn't one of those aircraft carriers but I like it! I fish a lot by myself and it is easy to handle and rides great. It sits low so the wind doesn't blow you around much. I'm an old fat guy and I don't notice it to have any tippyness but maybe I am used to it. It is much more stable than my 16' Lowe.

Last edited:

brund

Never had a 21 footer so i dont know what i am missing i guess . Had a 03 and i like my 02 just as much or more and i have fished 3 out of my boat.

Attachments

SLOmofo

I likey! Very first Allison I saw was at Clear Lake in Ca. it was like your boat. One of the group(another go fast bass fisherman) made the comment "It looks like a canoe!" I just wanted it.