another hyd steering questions

tomoad

When putting these lines in does everyone run thru the existing holes that the cables ran thru or come up from the gas tank, I been looking for pic's & have only found 1 or 2. If i come up from the gas tank I guess i have to change the fittings on the cylinder? where can I get these fittings? Does anyone have any pic?

fuzzbuzzeng

definitely better to run lines from gas tank area...because when you run them from
the side, and you turn the engine to the extreme right or left, the hoses have to
slide inside the grommet holes. if you have a tight fit with the grommets to
minimize water intrusion when coming off plane, you will find the hydraulic hoses
binding. By running both steering hoses from the gas tank area the hoses are
much freer to move. My XB02 came with the steering thru the side grommets so I am in the process of changing the position to come thru the gas tank area.

Stace

I don't think you can see it in this pic without zooming but I ran mine thru the rigging ports, one on each side of the fuel fill. I switched the straight fittings on the helm with the 90 degree fittings on the cylinder so they run straight towards the rigging ports. I have clearance when I tilt all the way to lock up. I am using a Detwiler man. plate and 3rd hole from the top on the clamp bracket. Stace

Attachments

tomoad

thanks Stace but cant really see, I ordered the kit today,Bill said to run the lines up thru the gas tank area and to turn the 90 degree fittings on the cylinder toward each other and criss cross the lines to them.?? Anybody got a new XB21 with hyd steering with some pic of the cylinder

fuzzbuzzeng

definitely better to run lines from gas tank area...because when you run them from
the side, and you turn the engine to the extreme right or left, the hoses have to
slide inside the grommet holes. if you have a tight fit with the grommets to
minimize water intrusion when coming off plane, you will find the hydraulic hoses
binding. By running both steering hoses from the gas tank area the hoses are
much freer to move. My XB02 came with the steering thru the side grommets so I am in the process of changing the position to come thru the gas tank area.

well I tried running these hoses from the gas tank area and it did not work well,
the hoses would get kinked if the motor was trimmed up..

so I put them back like they were, where the original cables came out

I/O to O/B

I ran mine through the original holes. I put on the blingy dana marine bezels, and it does look great. It does, however, allow some water in through the holes, when letting up on the throttle, in reverse, etc. No problem, just do the occassional pump out with the bilge. I am still on the lookout however for some kind of workable grommet. Everything ive tried so far binds up to some extent. Id like to find something fairly loose, and dont care if a drop or two of water gets in.

tomoad

I ran them up from the gas tank area, the little plugs that they send to fill the hole where the steering cable went did not fit, so went to Lowes & found some that did. I am happy with way it ended up & looks. I can't wait until Thursday to test drive. I hope there isn't much torque at the wheel, its weird setting in the seat and being able to turn the wheel effortlessly,

deadeye99

The torque is totally different, just a little harder to turn one way than the other. You will love it. You can feel the boat and feather the throttle with out the wheel pulling like crazy. You won't look back. Bob

F2008

........ I am still on the lookout however for some kind of workable grommet. Everything ive tried so far binds up to some extent. Id like to find something fairly loose, and dont care if a drop or two of water gets in.
Check a couple of automotive parts stores. They usually have a rack with various sized PCV, oil filler tube and various wire type grommets. That's where I found mine. Depends on the size of your hole(s) though.
.....did I say that?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Help-10-pcs-Universal-Wire-Grommet-Assortment/_/N-2616?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=grommet&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=720110_0_0_