Another steroid/chemical death in pro sports...

RedAllison

This week we will lay to rest another professional "athelete" that died much to early.

Throughout the 90s while in Alma, Arkansas my dad lived nextdoor to Don Youngblood for several years and has remained good friends once my dad moved to Hot Springs a few years ago. For those that don't know, Don was THE "Cinderella Story" of professional body building. He didn't even pick up his first weight until he was 34 years old. Don became so good and got so amazingly BIG that he actually won The Masters' Olympia in 02 (he placed 2nd in 01 which was his first year and everyone agrees he should've won it then but the award went to Vince Taylor by only 2 points in the final pose down round because he was already a "star" in the business). The Masters' is as far as a senior bodybuilder can go and by winning it it allowed Don to compete against guys mostly half his age at the 02 Mr. Olympia competition. Competing in The O was actually Don's dream once he became very serious about body building.

Sadly Don was found in his home by his family Saturday night after he passed of an apparent massive heart attack at the age of 51. Don had retired from body building after 02 but lastyear he told my dad that he had began training again and wanted to defend his title at least one time! At least he led quite a life, he was a self made man who grew to a worlds champion and built a very successful business and a great family along the way (his youngest daughter Julie and my sister remain best friends).

My dad was there with Don in both 01 and 02 at The Masters' and dad told me that he felt like he had lost his hero. He also said that with Don's passing it was like finding out Superman really can't fly. But we know at least some of the contributing factors too his death (I understand that by Ark law if a body is discovered an autopsy is required, official results aren't back yet.) My dad knew it was Don's choice but dad laid partial blame on Joe Weider, Arnold "DaGovenator" and other notables in the industry that continue to turn a blind eye to the effects that "pharmacology" (as Don liked to call it) is having on participants in professional sports. I'm not sure Weider is as much a health and fitness guru as he is managing a multi-million dollar "freakshow" now.

The worst came shortly after Don qualified for his first Masters. He got hooked up with a noted trainer from the Weider stable. They introduced him to insulin and powerful growth hormones (and God knows what else) which infact did indeed cause Don to get Diabetes a couple of years ago. My dad said that he knew Don had an enlarged heart and again knew that such punishment was Don's choice. But I doubt that is of much comfort to his wife Sue and his wonderful family now. Don and Sue lost an 11 year old daughter too a brain anurysm several years ago and that in fact is why he took up body building, as an escape.

Ironically I emailed Don a couple of years ago shortly after my father had his own heart troubles (9 bypasses in 4 months). In the letter I personally thanked Don for being such a mentor, influence and friend too my father and I credited him with being the sole reason my father was still alive. He got my dad into fitness and body building and had dad not been as strong as he was he would not have survived his ordeal. ALL of his doctors agreed on that. Dad told me that Don was so moved by the letter that he actually was moved too tears and framed it on the wall behind his desk in his office. I just don't understand why he couldn't now have the same blessings that my father had at the same time in his life?

At least there is comfort in knowing he is once again with his daughter,
RA

www.DonYoungblood.com
You can see from alot of the pics on Don's site that he was very much a family and friends man. My dad and step mom are in several of the Family and Friends section. He was one HELL of a man and will be missed by not only an industry but by folks who actually LOVED HIM.