Another trolling motor question

Luketrician

I have been looking at the minn kota powerdrive 12v trollers..are they heavy? Looks like a cool deal to have remote steering and lift assist though..seen some on ebay...

what kind of trolling motors do ya'll own?

SLOmofo

I've had servo steered trolling motors, the first ESP Motor Guide and also Pinpoint. They were great to begin with but when they started acting up :banghead :furious . The servo control has been around for many years now so should be much better. I now have a MinnKota Maxxium Pro 80 it has the lift assist which I really like cuz I'm old.

fishnfireman

I have been using the Minnkota Terova for about a year now.
It had some issues with a liquid filled compass that would leak then start making the unit act like a pinball.. when on the auto pilot....It's like everything else------A trade off..I love being able to set it and then just step back and fish.....however when in tight places it is not as fast to turn.
For fishing big windy open water points it's GREAT
I have a 80 pound lift assist I need to sell..I think it might be heavier than the Terrova but not sure..

Luketrician

the main issue is the weight...all the new gizmos that these new trollers have are nice and all, but if it weighs a ton I would much rather stick with an older style.

fishnfireman

I've got an old style OMC 24v on mine and I can't imagine how a heavier model would affect ride and fish attitude in a good way. Lighter IS better.
lighter is better. Unless you are depending on the troller to keep you on the water. to catch the fish, to win the money, to pay for the gas, to get you to the lake, to keep you on the water, to catch the fish, to---- Then bigger IS better !!!!

Luketrician

I think I'm leanin towards sheddin that third battery and putting a lighter troller on the bow. I've been told 55lbs thrust is plenty for the 2003..now I just gotta find one fer sale:cool

fishnfireman

:laughing It's all about perspective, I guess.
Very true....Perspective or priorities.

My priority list starts with ....putting all the odds I can in my favor towards catching the winning stringer.
If your a recreational fisherman vs a tournament fisherman then your priorities are not going to be the same.

It's hard for me to spend $ 200.00- 300.00 for an entry fee. And then go out with a trolling system I know will not stand up to the conditions. I'm subject to be faced with.

David Shook

Luke,
Your prayers have been answered, I happen to be sitting on a brand spanking a?? new in the box, Bill Dance, Motor Guide, 1999 model, got your foot control with variable speed selector, and with an Allison boat it has a whopping 30lb. of thrust which would be almost twice what you need . I can put this unit in your boat at considerable savings, $99.95 plus a small nominal shipping and handling charge, You ask how can we sell at these prices, we picked up several of these units when the old Wally moved to the new Wally back in 01, we have only one left in stock, but since you are first to ask about this motor, you will have first choice ahead of the expected thousands of calls on this desirable unit.
Act soon as this is a limited time offer?
Shook

NoviceDave

I have a Minnkota Riptide 74 lb trolling motor. It is much heavier than the 54 lb thrust Evinrude that came with the boat but I'm very happy with the Minnkota. I actually did not see much of a difference in performance with the added weight of the Minnkota. I have a bracket for quick removal of the trolling motor and I actually like the way my boat drives with the trolling motor on better than with it off. My boat is more responsive to throttle with it off so I take it off to play but for every day driving I like the added weight of the trolling motor. I just replaced my little trolling thunder batteries with 2 Group 24 lead acid batteries. It added another 50 lbs to my boat but again I actually like the way my boat handles better now. It is more solid feeling and I don't have to fight the wheel as much to balance my boat. Again if I want to play and I'm looking for all out acceleration then I will remove the trolling motor and trolling batteries. But I really like the way my boat handles right now with a heavy trolling motor and 3 heavy lead acid batteries. It surprises me as I've always tried to cut weight in this department and was even considering motorcycle batteries for my trolling motor to save weight. I'm glad I did not go that route.

NoviceDave

I'm no racer, but I do know that I love the the auto pilot on my 55 lb powerdrive and I wish that it was at least a 80 lb. I think my 2002 is under powered with the just the 55 lb.