Anybody else find their automatic bilge pump to be completely useless?

GotMyAlly

Finally pulled the fuse on mine. In even a sprinkle of rain, the thing runs almost non-stop. Not pumping anything out, just running. I'm thinking about bypassing the float switch and just wiring it in with the other manual pump, that way when I hit the bilge switch I'll have the power of 2 pumps bailing water.

atcje

Turn it up on the side, mine used to come on all the time and it wasn't enough water for the pump to pickup. Turning the float switch on its side allows a little more water to buildand it actually pumps now. I'm considering wiring mine so the auto switch and the manual switch activates both pumps. Actually got caught in a down pour rain once after launching the boat, stood on the bank under a Pavillion watching my boat sink cause the one pump on the auto switch could not keep up. Needless to say I got soaked going to turn the second switch on.

SmallJaw

My auto pump works great. I don't know how it is set up as far as the mounting goes compared to yours but it comes on, pumps out till it hits the water level below the float and shuts off. I'll be glad to do some looking and snooping with pic's if it will help you out any. I haven't had to run the manual pump any so far. I have tested it to make sure it works though. I've had my boat in some pretty bad downpours so its not a matter of little rain. Dangit, now that I've posted this I'll find my boat sinking next time out when the auto pump don't work!:laughing

Alli-drenaline Rush

I'm with ya Neal ! Mine pumps out a bit, then the motor stops. All the water that couldn't get out floods back thru the pump into the hull, and the process starts all over again. I've got a model car fueling bulb to suck the last bit of water out so the pump won't cycle - doing this til I get time to implement a permanent solution.

GotMyAlly

Did some looking. Those pumps are hard to reach! Have to move the battery, oil tank, and onboard charger to get to 'em. But I can get to the wires. Think I'll just jumper it so both run when I turn the manual switch on. Ought to move some water then with 2X pumps running.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow! Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about putting one in my boat. Not now.

Jimxb02

I've always had bad luck with auto pumps in my XB2002. Bought a new manual pump with capacity to keep up with a storm and wired it to it's own switch on the dashboard (with fuse ). Simple two wire circuit with no problems for three years.

Jim

SmallJaw

The check valve has trash in it or has just gummed up if the water is flowing back into the pump after it shuts off. I'd see if I could find the check valve on the outlet of the pump and replace it. Would be cheaper and quicker "maybe" than replacing the pump or rewiring things.