Anybody Know Anything About Sharps Rifles?l

BigRedAlli

I just aquired an old Sharps Rifle (old reliable). It was in rough shape but is cleaning up good. Never heard of one but have been searching the web and seems they are kind of desirable. Looks like they played a big part in thinning out the buffalo population. :shock: Wondering if anybody can tell by the pictures what I have? It's missing the front and rear flip up sight and I found some on E-Bay but not sure if they will fit.
Any info is appreciated.

Last edited:

RedAllison

:shock: Wow Marty, didja steal it? A real Sharps, should be worth some money. The Sharps were legendary ol guns, yep they DECIMATED the buffalo herds in the late 1800s. Initially they were 58cal blackpowder guns and then later converted to smokeless 50cal guns (via liners in the barrel) and later yet 45 calibers like the 45/70Govt. (I'm assuming that's what yours is?) Many blackpowder Sharps were used in the Civil War and the centerfires were the standard issue for the U.S. Calvary during the late 1800s as well.

I'd have it thoroughly cleaned and inspected before I fired it and even then I would be careful with the ammo chosen. Todays ammo is alot hotter than what was available way back then. If you know anyone that handloads you might give them the components and have them load you some reduced stuff to fire on occasion. No sense taking a risk destroying a nice old gun like that and sure don't want to see you at the rallies with an eye patch!

Remember that movie Tom Sellick did a few years ago, "Quigley down under"? That was an ol Sharps he carried. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRKUMUPcR7k
lol and despite the "Hollywoodisms" they aren't "lever action breach loaders". They are really known as FALLING BLOCK rifles, some to follow the Sharps were the Browning Hi Wall, the Creedmore with the most modern being the Ruger #1. It's that block that was easily converted from a percussion capped muzzleloader to a centerfire metallic cartridge like the .45/70. :wink

There's a WORLD of stuff available for that gun as they are still quite popular. Honestly, since it's a real Sharps I would track down correct/original equipment to put on it. Would increase the value and authenticity.

COOOOOOOOL deal bro, :beer:
RA

BigRedAlli

Thanks guys!!!
Red, what you said is pretty much what I've found out on the net. I have still not seen one like the one I have though. I was going to take it to the gun show last weekend, but something came up and didn't get to go. I just inherited it from my late 89yr old step-father along with several other shot guns. Didn't even know he had it or maybe I could of found out the history. Might have belonged to Buffalo Bill or something...:laughing
When I first seen it I thought it was an old piece of junk. Couldn't see any markings on it at all. Started rubbing on it with some 0000 steel wool and found the Old Reliable stamp on the barrel, ran to the computer and started searching. Needless to say I got very excited the more I read. :cool Also found out you can still buy a Sharps but their is at least a 2 year wait...:shock:
If you get some free time, look on u-tube under record elk sharps rifle. A guy takes down a record elk at 200yd useing a Sharps w/open sights. Drops it almost instantly. Cool vid.

I think I'll be keeping this old riffle...LOL