Assistant with jack plate please

Allen Blakley

I am a new owner of a 1988 xb 2002 and it has a 10 inch Manuel jack plate on it but I have a brand new still in the box 6 in hydraulic one in my shed. I have had a few people say don't need it on a Allison and few say put it on super smart move. Only reason I am asking is because if i don't need it I can sell it to put more stuff on boat. Thanks for the help in advance

Lotus 50

6" probably isn't enough setback. On the other hand I like a hydraulic plate so I can adjust for load and water conditions. If I always ran with the same load on flat water a manual plate would be fine.

Allen Blakley

Thanks for the help guys I want at least 10" myself and I run river mostly and load will rarely change I will probably stick with Manuel one for now then later on buy a 10" hydraulic jack plate

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
You won't need the hydraulic and a manual plate is safer in my opinion. It is too easy to raise the motor for shallow water and forget to lower it when you take off. If you don't have Smartcraft you can toast a motor pretty quick. Smartcraft saved me several times whilst I had hydraulic on my xb2003. It is also too easy to have the motor too high which can cause bad things to happen on the big end. On my 2002 I set it and forget it. It is easy to drive and very user friendly.