ATVs

GotMyAlly

After taking a ~10 yr hiatus from duck hunting, I went several times last season and plan to hunt more next year. I haven't had a 4 wheeler since I quit hunting, and I know a lot has changed since then. I'm starting to research before I make a purchase. Back when I was hunting a lot, Polaris was king when it came to capabilities, and as always, the Hondas were dead nuts reliable - but didn't have the ground clearance or the locking diffs to go anywhere. I've put together a short list of must-haves.

-Locking front diff
-IRS
-shaft drive
-Low range

From my initial research, it looks like not much has changed on the Polaris's. Honda has gotten on board with IRS but still lacks a front diff locker on most models. The biggest change in the industry is just about everybody has went to belt driven automatics....can't hardly find a manual trans 4wheeler anymore. Yamaha looks like they've perfected the belt driven trans, went to all IRS on everything in their lineup, and added front lockers, but their engines seem to be a little low on HP compared to similar sized engines. Arctic Cat is the last one I thought would go belt drive, but they have too. And everybody has a power steering option now....but I think I can live without that. Oh, and what was considered a big 4wheeler back then (500cc) is mid sized by todays standards.

I like the new 2-up models that arctic cat and polaris offer. Looks like a little more comfortable seat for the passenger for only a little more cost and a couple inches more wheelbase.

I've been watching the classifieds the last few weeks here, but mostly what I see are ragged out, snorkeled, radiator-relocated, etc. The ones that are clean and a few yrs old are priced within reach of a new one - so might as well buy new.

Anybody have an opinion to throw in for consideration?

atcje

If you are wanting the most power on the market it's a continuous race between Polaris and Can-am right now, both around the 100 HP mark. Both are great machines but you better be ready to give up some money, actually a lot of money. One of the best all around machines on the market right now is the Yamaha Grizzly 700. Extremely reliable, great ground clearance, power to weight ratio is still at the top of the list weighing in at just over 600 lbs, very comfy and easy to drive, well laid out, has high and low range, diff lock, not the fastest machine but tons of torque and able to pull any sensible size tire on the market. Oh and for 7500 a bargin by todays standards.

As far as the belt drives, they have become the industry standard. Very simple to operate and work on, very efficient, they use much more of the engines available power, instant performance and acceleration, always in the engine's power band, light, and they are geared as low as any gear drive I've ever driven. As far as reliability, I have a 1993 Polaris 350l 4x4 that I bought new, tons of miles and many yards of mud and it is still running the original belt. When I bought it everyone said "oh it's belt driven, it will never last" well I'm still waiting on it to fail.

Jon

Supporting Member
I was just talking about mine to someone today. I really like my Polaris Ranger. It fits in the bed of my F150 (between the wheel wells for a 400 or 500), fits on four wheeler trails, you can add electrics/hydraulic to the dump bed, and I can put my GS into the water with it. I have just the 400 (which are really 450's and the 500's are 475's with FI - similar power output) because I have no need for FI in TN where we typically have warmer weather. Even with it around 10 degrees lately, its started every time without issue. It definitely isn't as fun as a four wheeler, but with a windshield, its warmer! Lift kits are cheap as well to get you a bit more ground clearance ~$200.

resqu-u

I'm riding a 2005 King Quad 700. I really like the smooth power and the ride of the IRS is incredible. I stepped up the tires last year to 26x10 on the front and rear and it really improved the tracking. I have a buddy that has a 2014 KQ, now 750's, with power steering. I really don't see the need for it. With that said pound for pound if I was looking today I think a Yamaha Grizzly would be my choice. They are a little more responsive power wise. I don't think there is one on the market I would steer clear of right now from the big company's. My advise would be to go bigger than you think you'll need. The room and power is well worth the cost increase from a 500cc bike. Good luck with the search.

atcje

The side by side machines are nice and more versatile, if I bought new today I'd probably go with a side by side. Of course I've calmed some with age and don't stay in the mud as much. The traditional quads are still better in the mud. Neal if you are wanting one to duck hunt I assume you are going down into the delta in MS or over in Arkansas, we have burned a lot of diesel pulling side by side machines out of duck holes with tractors because they just can't follow the quads. It's all about what you want to do with it.

ImbadBob

I have 2 Arctic Cat TRV's. 08 500 and 10 700. They have been great. The speed rack is usefully. Pull 2 pins and the rear seat comes off. The TBX truck bed goes on the same way. If I wanted another one it would be a Cat.

GotMyAlly

I'm duck hunting in AR. 10 yrs ago, I was duck hunting 45-50 days/season and had half a dozen different places to hunt. Today I'm planning to hunt 8-10 days/season and I'll probably just have one or two pits. Having the biggest/baddest 4wheeler on the planet probably isn't necessary. I do like what I've seen from the side by sides in terms of comfort, but it's hard to justify $10k+ to use for just a few trips a yr. If I was hunting as much as I used to, those would definitely be the ticket. Or if I thought I'd ride them for recreation outside of hunting season, I think I'd lean towards the side by side, but I really don't see myself using it much after duck season.

Jon

Supporting Member
I picked up my Ranger for $7500 with 50 hours on it. It had never been offroad - older gentleman bought it to take his grandson out some and just didn't work out. They are about $9k new. Anyway, I couldn't justify a huge amount of money either. I use mine strictly for putting the boat in, picking up sticks, and working on yard projects in general. I can say that I use it 10x more than I thought I would, and for things I had not anticipated. I have it out at least once a week for something.

As others have said, a traditional four wheeler is better in the mud since you can rock back and forth. I can tell you though that riding around yesterday in the snow and sleet, I was warm, dry, and had no wind on me at all, and the four wheeler guys were complaining about the cold :)

Last pro for a side by side is that you can get a tag for them and with a simple turn signal kit and extra mirror, they're road legal in most states as a low or medium speed vehicle.

Get what suits you best, and as you said, unlike our Aboats, it probably doesn't have the be the baddest thing around.

This is the best pic of my Polaris that I have :very happy

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
Forgot something... I used this youtube channel a lot when looking at different rides. Even though they're Canadian, they actually do pretty good reviews of ATV's :)

Dirt Trax TV

Polaris Ranger 400

Honda Rincon - The big Honda only has a high speed transmission, no low. I had one of these for a while, and it's only useful for trails... you can not pull with it in a useful manner.

There are a LOT of reviews on their site. Some of them are a couple of years old, and in many cases those are fine as the ATV's haven't changed substantially since the review.

bullwhipjkg

we are riding this its a 700 4 seater but no longer than a 2 seater seats fold up and down in the bed or last nite used it as a 3 seater
and was cheaper than the rest
irs front diff locker but no low
but pulls the 28's with no problem
haven't had a chance to try it on a boat ramp yet but its coming when race season kicks off

Attachments

GotMyAlly

I looked at one of those Pioneers the other day. Love the idea of a gear driven tranny. The lack of a low range is what has me worried. Will it pull those tires in gumbo mud? A friend of mine has one on his farm about an hour south of me.......he's going to give me a Honda Pioneer demo as soon as we get a nice weekend.

Jon

Supporting Member
Does the Pioneer have the same 680 and tranny from the Rincon?

msharp

I don't like my RZR for hunting . To much noise for that. The Ranger gets the edge for that . But it will go anywhere and more that you want to .

bullwhipjkg

same motor but more gear than a Rincon they say a Rincon with the pioneer geared tranny is a beast
only time it has not wanted to pull the tires is in a river bed with running water and sand locked in 4 wheel
last nite had 3 adults and a cooler and it had no problem turning the tires in the mud got it hung up once was still moving but tires was gummed up and didn't feel like getting covered in mud and water so I got pulled out

jimmyb

dont be afraid of the belts, there is a reason the whole industry has gone to them...

GotMyAlly

The search is over. I found a steal of a deal on a leftover/brand new 2012 Arctic Cat 700. Aluminum wheels, power steering, diff lock, IRS, etc.--loaded out!

Attachments

sledman8002002

The search is over. I found a steal of a deal on a leftover/brand new 2012 Arctic Cat 700. Aluminum wheels, power steering, diff lock, IRS, etc.--loaded out!
Good stuff! I'm on a Can-Am right now myself, but had a couple of Cat's back in '02 and '04. I bought them mainly as work/hunting bikes, but did a lot of trail riding with them too. Good quads, great clearance. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they were the first to be equipped with a 2" receiver. Handydandy item IMO.
Enjoy! (when in doubt, use low range)