Back from Alaska

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
And knockin em silly at the last of the red salmon run!!!

Boyz I'm too tired to say more but man....Alaska is the BOMB!! Everyone who is fed up with the lower 48 is up there...

jimmyb

my dad has been traveling up there about 4 times a year for the last few years... (my bro is a pilot so he can get free passes for my mom and pop)

my dad has been having a great time catching halibut (nailed a 150# one two weeks ago), salmon, shooting moose and bear...

i havent been there yet... i have been putting it off. I know if i go there once, i will probably never want to come back

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
have been putting it off. I know if i go there once, i will probably never want to come back
That was me too....I am hooked, wish I was still there. The "no night" thing is cool, the sun just grazes the horizon for awhile and the sunset lasts about two hours.

I'll be going back every year probably!

Mike2002

Hey Lou and Jimmy

Where in Alaska do you have family?

I am planning a trip next year and have some questions.

Thanks,

Mike2002

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Kenai. Mike, let me know when you're going and I'll hook ya up... :wink:

Mike2002

Next June

We are debating on where to go for sightseeing inland to see the Costal Brown Bears, and where to see the Humpback whales, etc.

Just wondering what the local folks thought about such things and if we are OK on doing stuff on our own or should we buy one of the tour packages.

Thanks,

Mike2002

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Mike the local folks will just let you do your own thing but for what you mentioned, you really should look into one of the guide packages.

Alaska West Air operates some float planes that will take you where you can't get into any other way. There's lots of tour guides and businesses that cater to the specialty interests like you described...and seeing brown bears I would strongly suggest using a guide service, not just for safety but also for knowing where and when to look for them. Alaska is twice the size of Texas and has 3 million (that's right, 3 million) lakes!

As far as the whales and where and when to see them and other things, I can check with by bro in law and put you in touch with him, he's lived there for almost 30 years and knows a whole lot about the state.

amosXB03

Leave this Saturday for Alaska

Absolutely unbeilievable place to visit, fantastic place to fish. I will be up for a week this trip, dad and two brothers, which will be good since we are spread out across the country.

We have a couple of places in mind to hit, Bird Creek, Russian River and acouple in between, to include aa day for Halibut out of Homer.

If you have any other places that it would be hot right now please reply.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
The silver season should be just coming on in the Kenai river, Soldotna would be great I would think. It's just north of Homer, about an hour's drive.

amosXB03

The Kenai was hot 30+ fish in the 10+ range every day. We caught a lot of bright fish. Deep Creek and Ninlickik was also excellent. Also put some nuce Halibut in the boat (not my Ally), to include a 107 lb kicker.

As in the past Alaska is an awesome place to visit, and an even better place to fish, hope to go back in a couple of years and get a few big kings!

Thanks for the reply, just got back Sunday, so I did not get a chance to check e-mail.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Hey Amos, didja get to stop in Ninilchik at the roadside drive-in for milk shakes and the "Ninilchik'n" sandwich? :lol:

amosXB03

Soldotna

Nah, missed it this trip. Did stop in Soldotna to wash clothes and take a few $4 showers.

About 2 days of fishin between showers is alot, espacially with 4 other guys in an RV!

lightening rod

most memorable trip of my life was to Alaska. Ran into a great big grizzlie while back country hiking out of Eagle River (not far from Anchorage) and had an absolute blast catching Salmon in Soldotna. I will get back there some day.

Chris

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Hey guys we should plan a trip up there, I got the hookup with a cabin 18 minutes out of Kenai, my sis can set it up for us.....food for thought! Allison Northern Rally w/o boats!