Battery arrangement ~

Soggybear

XB 2003 Battery setup

The original set-up was with three batteries combining the starting battery with the trolling batteries (most common setup for Allison boats). The original placement of the batteries was probably best for most Allison boaters looking more for top end with the trolling batteries located at the far back of the port and starboard compartments and the starting battery in the center compartment with the fuel tank. The boat is running a 2.5 Merc on a hydraulic jackplate and with the combined weight of the batteries the swim steps were nearly in the water when sitting still… fine for a race boat but not as desirable when fishing. Especially when you’re fishing buddy is a big guy.

Before changing the battery layout one thing that was occurring was the boat had a tendency to list to the port side when coming out of the hole… doubtful this is caused by the battery placement and I am still addressing that issue but not as being related to the batteries.

I really don’t run as fast as other Alli boaters and have rearranged the batteries in my XB 2003 as follows to suit my needs:

*All batteries are securely fastened with the best hold down “plate and bracket” arrangement… no straps or button hook style bolt brackets (I don’t like these at all for marine applications). Solid marine plates & brackets cost a little more but are well worth the expense.

I rewired the starting batteries with a Perko dual battery selector switch and placed the two Gel cell batteries on opposite sides of the live well. This allowed for equal amount of weight distributed on the hull and the wiring to be nicely concealed through the wall cavities between the well and the aft seat.

I have added 3 trolling batteries just forward of and up against the latitudal beam under the cockpit. The weight is evenly distributed on the hull and the boat still sits with the stern slighty lower that the bow with the swim steps about 3-4 inches of the water. The initial test runs have shown excellent handling at all ranges of speeds up to 87mph (it toped out at 87 ~ I had expected it to be slower than before but am happy with this top end under the current arrangement). I have been running the boat this way for some time now but have been advised by those concerned that I might find myself in a blowout or hook the bow. I have since driven the boat up to 84mph and have not felt anything unusual; no leaning, no porpousing, no problem with the bow coming down hard.

My question?

The batteries are located slightly forward of midship rather than further forward on the hull… The batteries combined weight is less than the average man and I don’t seem to be seeing any problem with the handling …what other signs should I look for that would indicate a problem that might lead to a blowout or other mishap.

I like the trolling batteries to be separate from the starting batteries and besides this arrangement provides for the trolling batteries to be easily accessible and removed when desired... And my fishing platform is nice and level with less movement while fishing.

Hydropromax

I have 2 batteries, one in front of th gas tank on the passenger side. And the other in the passenger side rear storage compartment to balance the weight for running solo.

Lotus 50

My ss2000 leans left coming onto a plane. I just trim it a bit and it levels out. Is there a different solution?

pickwickangler

combined weight of the batteries the swim steps were nearly in the water when sitting still…
You can put a ball (yoga ball or any kinda rubber blow up ball) in the void space in the jackplate and as awkward as it may look it will raise the back end of the boat up a couple of inches and help when coming off plane.

chad202

You have three batteries in front the beem on the floor under the cockpit? If so, I'd expect blowout speed to be lower and when the bow drops, look out.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Chad, Thats what I advised him of over on Scream and Fly but, he insists on running it this way. So far he likes it, to each his own I guess.

jpxb2003

Most people with side steer run 2 batts in the port rear comp. and one in front of the gas tank. Running all 3 up front there is no way that its faster.

jpxb2003

Well okay if that is what he wants. Just be safe though. If he continues to run it that way I would lower my motor down to help compensate.

bigtis

Well okay if that is what he wants. Just be safe though. If he continues to run it that way I would lower my motor down to help compensate.
he stated previously that it's two batteries up front with a combined weight of about 100 lbs. less than the difference of me and a regular big ol guy.\
I'd honestly have to say that there probably wouldn't be that big of a difference, and if there were, a 1/8-3/16 drop in motor height would account for any ill handling characteristics.