Best Motor Choice

zfast138

Probationary User
I am new to the site. I see a lot of you selling boats without power.
If you bought a boat with no power what outboard would you guys chose and why?
What is the best outboard you could put on a Allison bass boat? I don't care about name on the outside.
Want performance and durability well some what. I don't want to rebuild every 25hrs.

zfast138

Probationary User
I understand that part. What I would like to know do buy a 1996 225 promax or 2.5 280. If money not a issue what would you guys buy and why. I am sure there are going to be all kind of opinions. But there has to be a best
all around outboard.

Lotus 50

I bought a 225 pm. Light weight, not crazy expensive, and should be reliable. It is thirsty enough that a 175XS might have been a better choice. For all out speed the 280 is king. But if you never go there you still have a very fast boat by most standards.

procomp

I understand that part. What I would like to know do buy a 1996 225 promax or 2.5 280. If money not a issue what would you guys buy and why. I am sure there are going to be all kind of opinions. But there has to be a best
all around outboard.
280 all day long. Went from a 225 on my GS to a 280 and the fun factor went through the roof. Put a 26 pitch prop on and try and wipe the smile off your face. Hole shot is waaaaaay better as well as acceleration of coarse.

whipper

im with the 280 opinion. i bought mine with a 96 225pm and though has been good to me im craving more speed and acceleration. when I bought the setup I didnt realize I would want more power or i would have done it from the start. i could afford anything when i bought the boat and can afford 3000 or s every year or two to re ring and or nic but I cant afford 8-10 to buy one again at this point for a few years now. i always seem to have the spare few grand around but cant link that few into the next time i have a few.!!! haha Wife always finds something do use it for! :rolleyes:

DOUBLE J

280 all the way. I've never had to re-ring one at 100 hours, I've gotten close to 250 hours on them before re-ringing. The simplicity, rip snorting power, low maintenance and high rpm's make it a easy choice. I view anything smaller is like buying a Mustang and getting the V6 model instead of the V8. I've had a 2.4 220, 2.5 200, 2.5 225 pro max,2.5 260 and 2.5 280(2 of them) and a 300XS. I like the 280 with factory electronics the best for recreational use.

flying07

i love my 225. . . . as my first 'perfomance' boat, i originally thought the ProMax had a lot of power! now after a year, crap, i need a 280 haha

whipper

280 all the way. I've never had to re-ring one at 100 hours, I've gotten close to 250 hours on them before re-ringing. The simplicity, rip snorting power, low maintenance and high rpm's make it a easy choice. I view anything smaller is like buying a Mustang and getting the V6 model instead of the V8. I've had a 2.4 220, 2.5 200, 2.5 225 pro max,2.5 260 and 2.5 280(2 of them) and a 300XS. I like the 280 with factory electronics the best for recreational use.
Have a question about electronics on a 280. Why do you find a stock 280 box better then lets say a 260 box that's seems to be a popular choice for 280.s? My guess would be having a 7500 limiter reduces wear than at higher rpm that a 260 box would provide?

DOUBLE J

The problem with the 260 electronics is that it is only 16 amps. So the whole day running you are either losing voltage or barely keeping up with the voltage. I like to sit at a sandbar for a few hours and run the stereo and not worry about is it going to crank. The 280 is a 60 amp charging. You can make a 280 turn around 9000 before it runs out of electronics. The advantage of the 260 electronics is that it allows you turn up way more rpm's (i.e. drag racing). I usually prop to turn low to mid 8000 rpms (i.e 28 and 30 pitch props). I have a 15X34 Merc. labbed cleaver to try as soon as my lower unit comes back from powder coating.

bigtis

Double j's reason for liking the 280 is why I have to go optimax. I need range and 60amp alternator. I'm anxious to see how I like the 15" 300xs on the 03

whipper

DoubleJay Thanks i see the reasoning now. Didn't realize you couldn't have the same amps, thought it was just an ECU RPM thing. thanks for that!!

whipper

Double j's reason for liking the 280 is why I have to go optimax. I need range and 60amp alternator. I'm anxious to see how I like the 15" 300xs on the 03

Im thinking your going to LOVE that motor on the back. do you have one of Mike Nass,s carbon cowls for it? Thats supposed to shave 20 lbs or so off the top? And they look sick!!:D what your doing is the direction I want to go more than anything. That way i will have the motor I want for the bigger GS also when I get one of those down the road. My promax is over due for a freshen up. Instead of spending the money on that it could be 3000 more toward what I want. Then i can try my hand at rebuilding the 225 in the shop on my own as an experiment. if im successful i figure i could also buy a 280 one day. I would only buy one if i can rebuild those myself. Im sure i could do it if I took my time. maybe haha

Last edited:

allimax

The 280 is a 60 amp charging.
Really, huh, I didn't know that. Is that a stater charging system or an alternator? I figured it would be a 40 amp like the ProMax. I can say this from running a few days with Catfish, there wasn't enough difference in the gas mileage to not want the 280.

whipper

Really, huh, I didn't know that. Is that a stater charging system or an alternator? I figured it would be a 40 amp like the ProMax. I can say this from running a few days with Catfish, there wasn't enough difference in the gas mileage to not want the 280.
Ya big alternator run off a belt to the flywheel. i suppose if you didnt need the charging and went 260 electronics and ditched the pulley there would be a little less resistance for the crank to spin freeer also.

whipper

Carbon 3.0 setup with 2.5 gear cases on 1.62 gears
Oh ya baby your going to have some grunt with that setup.;) I hear its around 435-445 lbs witch isnt to bad at all. Ill bet if some one put together about 20 300xs motors setup like yours they wouldnt have a hard time moving them? Ive seen a few for sale for the first time this year like that. Theres probably only 15 or so out there like that as it is? I gather it will take a little getting used to not having a 360lb motor back there but should still pull like a fright train so that will be a blast with the right prop!!